Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Re: Heaving-To versus Bare Poles

Have you read the book ?

QUOTE=sailingdog;355929]First of all, it is Larry and Lin Pardey.

Second, heaving to isn't always a good tactic, as it really depends on the boat, the sails, the wind and waves... some boats don't heave to very well. This is often the case with more modern designs, which don't have the keel area to heave to and create the "protective slick" that the Pardeys describe. Modern fin keels often are too small in surface area and often require water moving over their surface to generate lift and prevent significant leeway as well—and don't do much when the boat is heaved to.

What may have worked for the Pardeys in a relatively old design boat, with a full keel, may not be applicable to a different design boat.

There is no one solution.[/QUOTE]
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road

After taking seven years to leisurely complete my solo circumnavigation around the world I survived many sever storms by heaving to in my full keel Hans Christian, 38 f00t cutter. I beleive if I had continued to sail in such weather that I or my boat would have perished.

My feelings are based on my boat but if you can heave to in any boat that stays behind the the created slick I feel you will be safer than running under bare poles. The series drogue may also be an option but having never used one I'm concerned that even with a long bridle at the stern the yawing caused by following waves may cause the tow line to damage my windvane or hold the stern down at the approach of breaking waves,

I practiced heaving to on day sails long before I had the nerve to sail off on my circumnavigation. My book, Islands, Oceans and Dreams is now on Kindle and covers my thoughts on this subject.
smackdaddy likes this.
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdreamspress; 06-30-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2013

CRITERION is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=sailingmum;1052259]Have you read the book ?
QUOTE=sailingdog;355929]First of all, it is Larry and Lin Pardey.

Esteemed Mary T Pearson,
No, I have not read it, and I certainly don't need a book to tell me how to heave to. With all do respect to the venerable couple, their bias towards their chosen size and type of vessel clouds the fact that fin keel vessels heave to just fine. What you are quoting MAY apply to a super high aspect extremely deep short chorded keel/bulb such as on a VOR70, (the absolute design antithesis of what you are describing) however I'm sure even they still could heave to using a Galerider off the bow.... and may well not need it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2013

dahicke is on a distinguished road

I wanted correct myself. I re-reviewed the 1979 Fastnet Inquiry Report and found that way I was trying to normalize the data was inaccurate. I had been trying to account for conditions that they may be in that lead to their problem they reported. They I read in another paper that do to the way the race was run, you could assume they saw nearly all the same conditions. So, the way the report had normalize was correct. This is Table 4.8 in the report. However, looking closer at the table, I noticed this right above it: Question: At the height of the storm what do you now feel was the principle danger? I looked at a completed questionnaire that I had found on the net. It is not clear to me that you can correlate the answers from that question to the storm tactic because of the way it was asked. I could see that a skipper filling that out, could have read it to mean the danger that I was concerned about while sailing prompted me to adopt this tactic, or could read it to mean that while I was performing this tactic I became concern about this danger. So now that I look at that table, I don't know if the data is usable because of the ambiguous way they asked the question. Had they asked the question as: State what kind of storm tactics you used and what problems you encountered during each. The data would be much better.

Just trying to set the record straight on that account.

Dave
Old 07-16-2013

boatman61 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61

I'll heave to every time... Jib n Jigger.. Fore n Main or just the reefed main on its own... depends what I'm sailing.
Have been known to lay ahull as well but that gets a bit uncomfortable.. so don't do it often..
Old 10-01-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Spot on SailingDog!! If you get hit solidly by a breaking wave onto the top of your boat - think in terms of around 500 or so gallons of seawater at about 8 pounds per gallon, it's like dropping a Buick onto your cabin trunk.
I'm trying to soak up all you guys are saying cause I know nothing of sailing and have a desire to learn how to train a sailboat to do what I wish. Thinking about what you said above: I have been faced in powerboats with high seas especially6 at the bar and the thought of tons of water crashing on my vessel was always foremost in my mind. I remember the first time when powering into the swell the bow went completely under and I said my prayers. I was sure I was going to turn my nice searay sundancer into a submarine but not so, she just recovered nicely in time for me to prepare for the next one.
The difference here I think is that in my case by adjusting the throttle I had better control than possible with sail avoiding damage. Is that correct? Please remember I am just trying to understand having never been under sail in a storm
Old 10-01-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

we sailed a seidelmann 37 sloop in gom with a sailor who bowed to the magenta line god. we hit every tboomer florida had to offer. with some, noaa reported winds to 71 kts....i thought it was work, but we were too busy to figger how much work until it was done.
what we did was continue on. rolled furler jib into a small triangle and continued onward. was not fun but we didnt have desire to sit in any 10 ft 8 second interval breaking confused seas... nasty .
when we were young and learning to sail, uncle phil would do something and say --ok we do this here, but at sea you do this other thing--he recommended heaving to, but he sailed without engines or modern stuff. we learned line squalls in hudson rˇver.
seems to me when you are out in them then you find you do something different than you plan as seas are a huge consideration in weather sailing.
Sal Paradise likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-01-2013

u mean you sail buy the seat of your pants??....naw...
zeehag likes this.
Old 10-01-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

sailing in that stuff Zee is talking about Im sure does something to the seat of your pants.
zeehag likes this.
Old 10-02-2013

yep.
like your avatar. reminds me of that .....
cat that seems to own my farm. [I] guess the point being is you never know what needs to be done until your in it and half to do something or else.