Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Heaving-To versus Bare Poles

bfloyd and unkle toad---the first time in the nasty soup, i wasnt wearing pants..lol...just a wife beater shirt way to big--made a dress--second time i was in my sweats as it was cold....lol..
first time was a lil scary, but it didnt seem so bad when we were in it, as we were busy, until we read the noaa reports of the what it was...rodlmao--that was a lil nerve wracking... when you are out in it, it doesnt always seem as bad as it is -- sometimes it seems much much much worse.
something about lightning everywhere and not able to hear the thunder to know you are still alive and not dreaming...surfing into apalach on 6 plus foot short interval seas....hoooyaahhh....makes 20 kts seem calm.
sailing along as nice as you please then wearing a sea at 0300 ....oops....gom has some wak seas--like a norge washing machine on heavy duty wash cycle.
after gom and the close set confused seas in those nasty tboomers, sailing the rollers of pacific even in 60 kt chubasco was easy. no bad seas......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-02-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Hove to is usually more comfortable than bare poles at least it is in my experience.

Possibly a little safer too but I have nothing to back that up.
Old 10-02-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdreamspress View Post
After taking seven years to leisurely complete my solo circumnavigation around the world I survived many sever storms by heaving to in my full keel Hans Christian, 38 f00t cutter. I beleive if I had continued to sail in such weather that I or my boat would have perished.

My feelings are based on my boat but if you can heave to in any boat that stays behind the the created slick I feel you will be safer than running under bare poles. The series drogue may also be an option but having never used one I'm concerned that even with a long bridle at the stern the yawing caused by following waves may cause the tow line to damage my windvane or hold the stern down at the approach of breaking waves,

I practiced heaving to on day sails long before I had the nerve to sail off on my circumnavigation. My book, Islands, Oceans and Dreams is now on Kindle and covers my thoughts on this subject.
hans c, beautiful boats...drogue I have used in a power boat and once set in a storm the force is huge and could easily rip things apart. Was an eye opener
Old 01-03-2014

luhtag is on a distinguished road

Many years ago I would have put up the spinnaker.
Old 01-05-2014

paulk is on a distinguished road

We went through a squall in a Chi-Mac race once under bare poles on a Pearson 37. We were going 8 knots dead downwind, and the anemometer was reading over 50 knots. I would not have wanted any sail up. They would have a/overpowered us b/been shredded and unusable afterwards. Heaving to seems to work in conditions that are more managable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.