Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008

telekitr is on a distinguished road
Secondary anchor retrieval

We are redesigning the anchoring platform on our Passport. Our windlass of choice from a cost and space saving standpoint is a vertical format with drum and gypsy. Retrieval of the primary, all chain, is simple and straight forward. Our secondary anchor will be 100ft of chain and 250ft of nylon rode.
Retrieval of this secondary is a bit more complicated. How does one make the transition between taking the nylon rode off the drum, getting the 100ft of chain up (since the primary chain is wrapped around the gypsy and down the chain hawse pipe the chain gypsy is not usable??)
I would be interested in hearing how people deal with the retrieval of this secondary anchor?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
That's why I chose a horizontal. Much easier to deal with in a 2 anchor pulpit. If you haven't bought yet...you may wish to consider how much fun it is to wrestle by hand with a heavy, muddy chain and deal with a single hawse hole rather than have two dedicated hawse holes and gypsies.
Old 08-02-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Paloma being on 30', I only use the windlass if I'm in really deep water and have a lot of chain out - I try not to do that. In shallow water - which is much more common down on the Gulf Coast, I don't use the windlass at all. I set both anchors out by motoring up, dropping the first anchor, then backing up to set it with about an 8-1 scope (I only use 12 feet of chain), forward again at an angle and drop the second - same drill. To retrieve them, I motor up slowly to overrun and pull out the closest anchor, leave it dangling off the anchor roller, then same drill for the second one. Once both anchors are freed, I turn back to the channel, one at at time pull them to the side and lower them to just below the water line to wash them off. Be careful not to let them bang into the hull - ask me how I know???
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by johnshasteen; 08-02-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008

telekitr is on a distinguished road
Thanks for you replys so far. Cam..I agree that having 2 dedicated gypsies and hawse pipes is the optimum way to go. We have not chosen the windlass as of yet and will consider carefully. John....our issue is in dealing with 2 heavy and long chains. Primary is 300 ft and secondary will be at least 100 ft. So it becomes an issue when we try to get the 100 ft of chain up when raising the secondary anchor with the primary chain contained in the 1 gypsy that we would have.
Old 08-03-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by telekitr View Post
Thanks for you replys so far. John....our issue is in dealing with 2 heavy and long chains. Primary is 300 ft and secondary will be at least 100 ft. So it becomes an issue when we try to get the 100 ft of chain up when raising the secondary anchor with the primary chain contained in the 1 gypsy that we would have.
I appreciate your issue - on the Gulf Coast you are either in the Gulf and you either keep sailing or lie ahull to a sea anchor, in the ICW or the bays you're lucky not to run aground while trying to anchor. so you only have to decide between 6 and 12 feet of chain.
You didn't say where you sail or what kind/size boat you have, where are you located that the water is that deep?
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 08-03-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Isn't this why we have two or three of the local high school football team line backers on board? To man haul that weighty anchor and chain back on board? Us older fellows have to use smarts here. Let the youngsters Haul that anchor back on board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.