Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
When there is NO wind, I don't go out sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2008
Swansea, MA

pfatyol is on a distinguished road
For me, it is a question of can I get to the boat to Go. 8 foot hard dinghy with a 1.5 hp motor. It is 100 Yards from the dinghy dock to the mooring. Too rough to get out to the boat, then we don't go. So far has only happened once, 40+ kt wind.

S/V "Fat-Kat"
C&C 32, Hull #237
Mt. Hope Bay
Old 08-20-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Not on 8/21/08.........Tropical Storm Fay is going to drop by for a visit.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 08-20-2008

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Here in Gloucester, itís said that the Italian fishermen go to the fish pier in the morning and light a cigarette lighter. If the wind blows the flame out, they stay home. The Portuguese on the other hand use a blow torch!

PoCA
Old 08-20-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
The previous answers have it pretty well, it's all about the crew! However, there is one other problem that will keep me ashore -- if the temperature is over 100F and relative humidity over 90%, (which happens sometimes in St Louis) I could drown in my own sweat! In that case, keep the A C connected to shore power and do some serious beer drinking! Although I'd rather be sailing, it's better to be on the boat than not!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 08-20-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I don't go out at anytime I don't feel comfortable with being out.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
But we all know the Portagees are crazy. They're just as bad in New Bedford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateofcapeann View Post
Here in Gloucester, itís said that the Italian fishermen go to the fish pier in the morning and light a cigarette lighter. If the wind blows the flame out, they stay home. The Portuguese on the other hand use a blow torch!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Yes, the Portuguese are crazy, but they make delicious linguica. Also known as Hawaiian sausage. I am both a Portagee, and Hawaiian, so linguica is one of my favorite foods.....LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 08-20-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
This is even tougher for trailor sailors who don't get out all that often. The days are generally planned well in advance. You go through a lot of prep and drive a couple of hours (or more; sometimes much more) to get to the water and once you are there, all you have is your vehicle and your boat; there isn't much else to do. If there is a named storm or other major system, you might know it in advance and change your plans. but when you get there and see dark clouds or other potentially ominous signs, it's a tough call. I like 10-15 knot winds best; I would not take the kids out in 20 or more and I am usually with the kids. I regretted launching in very light winds on the lake a couple of times last year. This year I have been sticking with the coastal inlets and usually had plenty of wind and shoreline to hug if it got too strong.
Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dang...that explains a lot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Yes, the Portuguese are crazy, but they make delicious linguica. Also known as Hawaiian sausage. I am both a Portagee, and Hawaiian, so linguica is one of my favorite foods.....LOLOLOLOLOL

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.