Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
When Don't You Go Out

Here is one of those open end general questions that folks can weigh in one with all the caveats:

When is there too much much wind or seas to go out for you?

For me and our 33 ft boat its around 25 kts with 4 to 6 foot seas. Not that I can't do it, I, and most of my friends and guests, find it not enjoyable after a while. The boat will handle it fine, but after a while the constant pounding and motion becomes tiresome. 25 kts in flat seas is okay by itself, but not much more. Seas over 6 feet, no matter how optimal the wind (for our boat) is just not fun for the Admiral, me , and any of our crew.

My optimal range is 10 to 15 kts of steady breeze. Basically I hate reefing a lot. Once over 20, I need to do something with the sails to correct the helm. 0 to 1 foot seas with 15 kt steady winds is heaven.

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I sail mine up to 30 knots before I even consider reefing. Mainly due to the fact this boat is ocean rated and really drives well. The key to comfortable cruising with pounding and heeling is just knowing when to spill the wind. Then again also displacement and tonnage come to mind and at 16500 tons and 7'9 draft... makes a huge difference on it. My Catalina 27 if the wind got to 15 knots I'd just drop the sails and motor...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-18-2008

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Generally winds exceeding lwl give pause for leaving the marina.
John
Old 08-19-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I sail mine up to 30 knots before I even consider reefing. Mainly due to the fact this boat is ocean rated and really drives well. The key to comfortable cruising with pounding and heeling is just knowing when to spill the wind. Then again also displacement and tonnage come to mind and at 16500 tons and 7'9 draft... makes a huge difference on it. My Catalina 27 if the wind got to 15 knots I'd just drop the sails and motor...
That's one heavy boat ya got there Jody....

OH to answer the OP's question......Apparently not befor at least 1 year of ownership....

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-19-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
If I have to question whether it is too windy and rough to go out, then it is too windy and rough to go out.
Old 08-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
25 knots and 4-6 foot seas are just starting to be fun conditions IMHO... Most of my friends and guests likes sailing in conditions like that and worse. But we're all crazy. My favorite days are the ones with 20-25 knots of wind and 4-6 seas... If the wind picks up much more, I'll start to reef down the sails. In fact, I just had a third reefing point added to the mainsail, since we sail in what most people call horrible conditions so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Here is one of those open end general questions that folks can weigh in one with all the caveats:

When is there too much much wind or seas to go out for you?

For me and our 33 ft boat its around 25 kts with 4 to 6 foot seas. Not that I can't do it, I, and most of my friends and guests, find it not enjoyable after a while. The boat will handle it fine, but after a while the constant pounding and motion becomes tiresome. 25 kts in flat seas is okay by itself, but not much more. Seas over 6 feet, no matter how optimal the wind (for our boat) is just not fun for the Admiral, me , and any of our crew.

My optimal range is 10 to 15 kts of steady breeze. Basically I hate reefing a lot. Once over 20, I need to do something with the sails to correct the helm. 0 to 1 foot seas with 15 kt steady winds is heaven.

DrB

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-19-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Interesting question, indeed. For me there are a lot of variables - I won't go out if I have to slam closehauled into 30+ knots of air with large seas (things break,) but I will go out if it's off the nose in those conditions. SD makes an interesting point, though, there are crew who will go out and enjoy a bash and there are crew who aren't comfortable if it's cold, rainswept or blowing like stink. I guess my answer would depend on where I was, where I was headed and who was around for crew. Having said all of that, I'd prefer leaving the 40+ knots of wind to those occasions when I'm in the middle of a passage and have no choice in the matter!

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 08-19-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
The simple initial question garners a less simple answer from me...it depends. Who will be on the boat?
Newbies who have never sailed before but are comfortable on boats = Up to 20kts and 5' seas.
Newbies who are not real comfortable on the water = Up to 15kts and 3' seas
Other sailors = Up to 30kts and 8' seas
It also depends on why we would be going out. For example, if it is just a daysail to get off the rock, than we can go out into conditions when small craft warnings are issued. Of course we are not headed into the open sea and know where the protected waters are and pick our destinations accordingly. If we have visitors with limited time I will push a little harder to get them out to some good beaches/bars/snorkeling etc... If we need to get to a race or to get home then we pretty much will go out in anything less than a tropical storm.

Generally if I think I need to reef on the dock then I usually don't go because it will probably be too rough out for it to truly be relaxing. Which sort of defeats the purpose in going out, at least for me anyway.
Old 08-19-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
If there aren't Gale Flags flying at the Coast Guard station, we'll go sailing.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 08-19-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Depends on the number and experience of my crew. If the crew is seasoned, 25-30kts and 4' seas are ok, and a flat out blast off the wind surfing the waves. If its my mother and sister (don't sail) then I'd probably not take them out in over 18kts b/c I'd be basically single handing the boat.
Its all about the crew.