Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Lesson from TS Faye

The other day, at the height of the wind here in Jacksonville, a couple of things were going on. The conditions: wind was steady at around 50 mph, according to the Weather Underground station just up the creek a bit. It was raining hard. My old Morgan 36T, Ruffian, was in a little trouble.

The river was up higher than I have ever seen in here in Jax. It had the main dock awash under an inch or two of water. (Fixed dock, the whole distance.)

As a consequence, the dock lines had gone slack, and with a SSE wind, Ruffian was jamming herself up against the dock on her port side. I made it to the end of the dock, got aboard, and attempted to pull her off.

People, you don't pull 13,000 pounds of sailboat, even with bare sticks, against a 50 mph wind with gusts to 60 or thereabouts. I'm an old geezer, but still reasonably strong, and all I was able to do was give myself a set of sore muscles. In addition, with the wind velocity, the raindrops felt about like small shot fired at long range. It was seriously painful.

Ultimately, one of the extra stern lines I put on for the storm was just long enough to make a couple of turns around my spinnaker winches, and I was able to pull Ruff's stern out a bit, which got her off the piling she was bashing into.

The lesson I learned the other day is that from here on out, my 'storm' lines are all going to be long enough to reach a winch somewhere, and I'm going to have snatch blocks set up in advance to reeve those longer lines through, rather than trying to do it in a storm.

The simple truth is, I should have known this, because when I was riding Wilma out aboard Island Breeze down in Coco Plum (Coral Gables), I had a similar problem. I didn't think about it, though, and paid the price. During Wilma, Breeze was being heeled over to starboard, and her lifelines and stanchions were being smashed by the fixed concrete dock. I crawled forward (yes, crawled. Walking was out of the question), and got the storm line wrapped around the windlass and used that to winch her over a few inches.

While I was doing that, my next slip neighbor's outrigger came crashing down, and the pointed end tried to poke a hole in the dinghy. I had to scramble back into the boat, find a set of heavy wire cutters and cut the S/S guy wires from the Hatteras to the outriggers to get the outrigger off of my boat. All of this in 75 knot winds. I tied a small piece of line to the outrigger and threw the whole thing in the drink between our two boats, which saved both of us from any more damage. (The Hatteras, which was only a month old had a couple of small scratches in the paint, and I had a scratch on the outboard for our dinghy.)

All in all, having a set of storm lines that can be winched in against heavy loads is now number one on my list of storm preparedness. Number two is having a way to cut S/S wire rope quickly and efficiently.

BTW, Ruffian did okay in the storm the other day. The old girl has a couple of new scratches, and an inch or two of water in the bilge, but otherwise no problems.
Old 08-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I carry a three "storm" docklines that are 40-50' long and can be lead to the genny winches or the anchor windlass to get leverage. They're also 5/8" rather than the normal 1/2" lines I use on a daily basis. I do need to get new snatch blocks for them though. Of course, my boat is a lot lighter, and generally doesn't require winches to brute force her around. Less windage too I'm guessing than a Morgan 36T.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-26-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I am just outside of Jax, and mostly was pushed off the dock. For a while it was on the nose, and I idled the motors until the wind moved. The whole time I was adjusting lines as the river rose, and the wind changed. Winches, windlasses, and any other tool that is available will get used. We had a 2 docks sink, and almost drag one boat under.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook