Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2002

tondelayo29 is on a distinguished road
Rock Star Recalls Scary Sailing Voyage

I just read this Associated Press article and wanted to share with every one.
Having lived on and learned to sail on Lake Michigan for 15 years of my life it brought back lots of memories. Like a surprise storm when I was 3 miles off-shore on my 16'' Hobie (1974) and ended up in 12'' wave and 65 mph gusts. I lived through it and learned a lot that day.

07/24/2002

Associated Press

PONTIAC, Mich. -- Rock star Bob Seger said this year''s Race to Mackinac was scary because of severe storms that forced at least 18 boats to drop out of the 333-mile contest from Chicago to Mackinac Island.

Seger and the crew of his 52-foot sailboat, Lightning, finished the race, but winds up to 70 mph and torrential rain split one of the boat''s sails and tipped it hard to one side.

"It was like a blow dryer blowing Lake Michigan," Seger told The Oakland Press for a story Tuesday.

"The cold water was hitting the lake and steam was rising, and the water was moving almost laterally in the wind," the 57-year-old singer said from his cabin in Good Hart. "We were OK, but it was scary. I was saying, ''Do I want to do this anymore?"''

Lightning also lost steering at one point, but finished in 33 hours, 39 minutes and 34 seconds.

Last week, Seger skippered the boat to a victory in its division in the 78th annual Port Huron-to-Mackinac Island Sailboat Race.

In the Race to Mackinac, Roy Disney''s 75-foot Pyewacket missed the storms and earned first-to-finish honors in 23 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds.

Nearly all the 296 boats that began the race Saturday had finished by Monday evening, the sponsoring Chicago Yacht Club said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing! It was nice reading a story that I otherwise probably wouldn''t have gotten to see. Not to mention learning something about Bob Seger!

Thanks again,
MaryBeth
Old 07-30-2002

Lfagel is on a distinguished road

Not only did his boat have problems, but the boat that actually finished in first place overall on time adjusted, was involved in rescuing two crew from a trimarian that had capsized in the dark during that race. The two crew in the water could see and hear the other boats looking for them, but the boats not hear their yells for help. They both had PFD''s, but one guy''s was not bouyant enough to "hold" his head above the water. They stayed together and managed to keep afloat. They were eventually found and rescued. They were in the water for about an hour. It was a good thing that in the straits, the water temps was about 70 degrees that day. They did not have whistles or strobe lights on their pfds. At least it all had a happy ending.
Old 07-30-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a common misconception about the Great Lakes. These bodies of water are more like inland oceans rather than the placid lakes most of us are familiar with. Lake Michigan is no millpond like the Chesapeake or long Island sound. Treat the Great Lakes with respect or the weather gods will bite you in the ass!
Old 09-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, the Great Lakes definitely qualify as bluewater in many ways, far more so than the Chesapeake Bay. The risks, the weather, the conditions are far more similar to sailing on an ocean than on a smaller freshwater lake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-05-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Summer thundersqualls happen up there. After getting a half-inch of hail on deck, we managed to hit 8 knots dead downwind with no sails up, when the windspeed hit 50 knots. (We saw it coming.) At least the breeze cleared the decks and helped keep us from slipping overboard on our way to Mackinac.
Old 09-06-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
I had been ignoring the heading "Rock Star" for as you all know a "Rock Star" is not a Musician in the sailing world he/she is a small sailboat racer of excellent reputation. Reputation as in " Aw hell, I have to race that guy in the first round to qualify for the olympic team!"

In any case I was reading the first post and got to the part about "Pyewacket" did a double take. Roy Disney stopped racing a bit ago and Pyewacket was donated to Orange coast college. Then I looked at the posting date.

Why do these old tatty things keep popping up???

Dewey
Old 10-12-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Dewey,
I do this myself. Get bored with work, log on and have a quick scan of topics, see something that interests me , whip of a quick reply only to realise that the original post is five years old.

Tatty old bits are always popping up, it's the well kept cuties who choose to hide.

cheers
tdw

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-18-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Great Lakes

Hey Dewey & TDW
As a newer member I do the same. I see an interesting heading/topic and i'll take a look at it.
I'm glad I did here almost 4 years later as the statements from Denr and sailingdog hit it right on the nose.
I was looking for a sailboat last year and I was comparing several 30' to 36' cruisers and settled on my old 1973 IRWIN 32 for economical reasons and that it could handle the Lake even though I heard comments on other sailing sites that some would never take such a boat out on bluewater and that she was okay for sailing on the Great Lakes.
I rather be on true blue water ocean with a 50 knt wind in 12' swells with a relatively long wave period than in Lake Michigan in the same weather conditions with a 5 second wave period.http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
As they say 'believe you me' the ocean in those conditions will be a lot better ride. Been there done that and not always by choice.
ps My Irwin does fine in this small ocean.http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images...s/rolleyes.gif

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.