SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   rope to wire halyard knot (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/46986-rope-wire-halyard-knot.html)

gtunison 09-10-2008 11:06 PM

rope to wire halyard knot

Is tying a bowline to connect rope to wire halyards bad? what if I seize the tail of the knot by whipping?
thanx

Stillraining 09-10-2008 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes its bad...you want one of these...Rope to wire splice.

edstill 09-11-2008 12:29 AM

And that ain't an easier splice to do. It would be easier to switch the whole halyard over to a low-stretch braided line. And the new line would be cheaper (most likely) than having a rope to wire splice professionally done.

nightowle 09-11-2008 12:51 AM

maybe try this "splice nut" product

I haven't used it so can't vouch for it's performance, but it could be worth a try as an easy and inexpensive solution:

Search

nightowle 09-11-2008 12:54 AM

additional link

sorry, this link is shows the picture of a "splicing nut", the first link is to a dealer that handles the product.

SplicingNut...every line needs a secure loop

werebeagle 09-11-2008 01:23 AM

night

The problem with that, or any attachment other than the splice is that it wont pass through any turning blocks, which would give it too short of a travel length to be a useful halyard.

sailingdog 09-11-2008 02:56 AM

IMHO, you'd be much better off switching to an all line halyard. There are significant benefits to doing so.

Knots and splicing nuts weaken the halyard too much IMHO, and become a significant point of failure, not to mention causing problems with trying to pass the halyard through a block as werebeagle has pointed out.

A well-tied bowline might have 60-70% strength of the line at best, and a splicing nut is probably about 75% of the strength of the line. Compare this to a properly done splice, which may be as strong as 95% of the strength of the line.

Modern, high-tech lines, like New England Ropes T900 are actually stronger than steel cable of the same diameter. :)

kgs113 09-11-2008 11:27 PM

With my main and jib halyards the wire part ends with a nicopress loop. I secure the line with a buntline hitch. Going to Stay Set X after I step the mast and see what I have for sheaves.

sailingdog 09-11-2008 11:34 PM

KGS-

Don't forget to check the sheaves and exit slots and such for burrs or other rough areas, which are often caused by wire halyards. Not checking for them will make sure your new line halyards chafe through in record time. :D

RXBOT 09-12-2008 12:40 AM

HI-tech line

I would visit Brion Toss's site and read High Modulous rope. According to him it doesn't like knots or going around sheaves much either. The article is in the Fairleads section.