Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008

Drylander is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDave View Post
Winds were 15-20 kts ... I turned to the south and set a course as close to the wind as I could. We were making about 3 knots on a close reach, when all of a sudden the boat heeled about 45 degrees and I was fearful we'd capsize.
It always seems that the boat heels much more than it really does... My guess is that you were OK, however I do not quite understand why would you heel that much all of the sudden? I have never sailed your boat and am not familiar with its sailing features, but if you were making 3 knts close reach in 15-20 kts wind, I'd say something was wrong - most likely your perception of the current point of sail - you were going too slow for the wind condition and your point of sail, I think.

Last edited by Drylander; 10-07-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2008

HuskerDave is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the encouragement. The next time we go out, we'll definitely practice reefing.

Part of the reason we were only going about 3 kts was due to trying to get around a fisherman. I should have gone around him by tacking to port but instead tried to stay on my basic course - which left me in the 'no go' zone a couple times with no forward momentum. We had just gotten going again when the first heel occurred. I still don't have a feel for how close to the wind I can go before losing speed. When on a beam reach we were going about 7 knots.

Each time out is a new learning experience, and we're looking forward to the formal lessons next month. The school we're going to on Galveston Bay says they took no real damage in their marina, but the Bay was so full of debris that they didn't advise going out for a good while.
Old 10-07-2008

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
Might think about taking classes in CC. I wouldn't think GB would be cleaned up by next month. If all you are going to do for now is lake sail there is a school on Lake Travis.

Not being an experienced sailor I would think that lake sailing and winds could be very different than in a bay. We are learning in Matagorda Bay with the help of long time sailor friends. The one on one help is great for us.

Fair winds
David
Old 10-13-2008

EldoradoIB30 is on a distinguished road
Try just sailing under the Main

until you get to know the lake, your boat, and your crew – try just sailing under the main. Get used to the reefing system, mark your lines and halyards to make the reefing faster and easier.
This also gives you a chance to concentrate on your main sail shape and angle of attack in various points of sail and conditions. If you can sail the main without touching the wheel or tiller your in the groove and ready to add the Jib.

Remember North Texas weather reports are like horoscopes, their fun to read but rarely accurate. If weather.com says 15-20 it is likely 20 gusting to 35.
Old 10-13-2008

guyrj is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you are well on your way to learning to sail your new boat. You experiences new conditions and learned how to compensate. Perfect.
Old 10-13-2008

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
as said above, on a P26 you want to reef the main (1st reef) if you have 15kts plus... sailing on main alone will be much lumpier usually than sailing on reefed main & jib... you can also try jib alone, esp. if you have a furler and can adjust for conditions.

I rarely even use my genny anymore on my P26, I run the working jib (100) 99% of the time, the gain in performance (slight) w/ the genny is outweighed (IMO) by the bigger hassle of tacking the genny, not being able to see under it, etc. At 15-20 kts you'd want the genny reefed/furled anyway so you're better off in those conditions with a reefed main & working jib.

I have no trouble making hull speed or more (7kts+ with tide) on my P26 in those conds. (15-20 kts, reefed main, 100% jib). I did a 200-mile solo trip down the Potomac and back 2 weeks ago and was doing 5.3-5.5 kts with that setup against a 1kt+ tide in 15-20 gusting to 25.

The P26 is very stable, with the rig trimmed right it should round up on the big puffs, as someone pointed out. It's a beautiful thing to be able to rip along at 7 kts with a touch of weather helm and two fingers on the tiller holding it steady.

best,
Jon

Last edited by fendertweed; 10-13-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2008
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDave View Post
Part of the reason we were only going about 3 kts was due to trying to get around a fisherman. I should have gone around him by tacking to port but instead tried to stay on my basic course - which left me in the 'no go' zone a couple times with no forward momentum. We had just gotten going again when the first heel occurred.
I think this may have been your primary cause for the excessive healing.

Stalling the boat with the main sheet cleated invites a knockdown from an unanticipated gust. Under normal conditions, with way on, the boat would squirt forward and perhaps round up a bit.
Old 10-20-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
HuskerDave,

Read the whole thread. We currently own a P30 and I crewed fairly extensively years ago on a P28. So I know Pearsons fairly well . First thing: Assuming that by "we" you meant "The Admiral and I," you had too much sail up for those conditions. If you have experience and rail meat: Yeah, in 15-20 kts that boat can handle a full main and a genoa. But you should've been flying a #3 and had a reef in.

Secondly: You need to learn sail trim. 5 kts going down-wind (broad reach, I'm assuming) in 15-20 kt winds is very slow. 3 kts beating is likewise slow, but I'm going to guess you were on your ear the whole time.

Suggest Ivar Dedikam's Sail and Rig Tuning.

Jim
Old 10-20-2008

RichP is on a distinguished road
There aren't many people who don't get a bit worried the first time a yacht really heels over! (As in their first time) Soon you won't even bat an eyelid, in a well found yacht i'd start to get edgy at maybe 100degrees of heel!

I still remember my 1st time on my Dads yacht when it heeled over, I thought it would keep on going, not made easier by the fact I was 7 years old and steering while he was below making himself a coffee!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Dave,
As a fellow Pearson owner, welcome and congratulations, they are a great boat. I don't have much to add to the excellent advice above. Do not worry about the class this weekend. Galveston bay has some debris, but not too much all things considered, I've been out 4 times since Ike and the Bay is clearing up nicely. What school are you taking your class from?

Michael
Hull #15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.