Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
And what's sickeningly crazy about them is that they appeared to be a confused sea (short-period, steep waves jumping up everywhere) - not just swells!

If that doesn't give you the old pucker - nothing will. Insane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
It is hard to believe that there are too many under 50 foot boats that would survive that.
I dunno. Depends on whether you believe in the "albatross" or "corked wine bottle" model of small boat behavior in a storm.

In deep water, when the waves get really big, they also get really long. From the perspective of a small boat (or an albatross or corked wine bottle bobbing on the surface), the seas may be steep but they're not that rough. So as long as you can remain buoyant and handle steep waves, you should be okay in a small boat.

Of course this assumes breaking waves aren't an issue, and breaking is a function of steepness. But in this video if you look past the effects of the ship's bow crashing through the crests, I didn't see a lot of breaking waves.

There are heavy weather tactics that purport to deal with both steep seas and breaking waves.
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 11-10-2011

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
I
Of course this assumes breaking waves aren't an issue, and breaking is a function of steepness. But in this video if you look past the effects of the ship's bow crashing through the crests, I didn't see a lot of breaking waves.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. What I saw looked like 60+ foot waves with the tops of maybe 10-15 foot of whitewater coming at them. I'm assuming the freeboard on this ship is about 60 feet loaded. You can see some of this when they shoot out the port wheelhouse window.
If you ran off in these conditions with a drogue, you would take some serious whitewater at the companionway. If you fore-reached and the whitewater didn't knock you beam on, you might be OK, but that is a big IF. If you stuck out a parachute sea anchor it would be one monstrous battle against chafe, and if you won that, would you have a rudder when you were done.

There really are times at sea where you just are overwhelmed in a small boat. These pics looks like one of them.

Old 12-17-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
What's the difference between VOR racers and normal sailors? These guys actually CHASE DOWN tropical storms to SAIL IN THEM! Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Golden ticket for Groupama as Sanya gamble in the north

Old 01-11-2012
Last Man Standing

Anyone seen this movie? Check out the wave smack at about 1:20!

Old 01-12-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
There seem to be more than a few who have experienced Heavy weather in the Gulf of Mexico.

I have learned from experience that the forecast of "slight chance of thunderstorms" doesn't always mean mostly clear calm conditions. A major storm with waterspouts, and pebble sized hail can brew up in short order.

IF it is between you and the coast heading in may not even be an option.

One tactic I have used successfully, (it worked great), that is always an option on the gulf coast, is to find a large oil rig, and heave to in it's lee.

I could see huge waves hit the rig, and split in two, to pass by on either side of me. My boat got barely a ripple. The wind was so severe the tops of the waves were pulled off in sheets, but as long as I could keep the boat in the "slick" created by the rig the effect on the boat was day and night as far as noise, wind, no more hailstones to the face, and calm quiet seas.

Definately a good thing to try in the future. I didn't need to do anything else to prep the boat.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-12-2012
Last Man Standing

That's actually a great piece of advice Bill. I hadn't thought of that as an option. And, as I've discovered, there sure are plenty of those things out there!

Old 01-12-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
One problem, as I see it, is that when you're actually in the sh**, you don't really have time to evaluate your actions. If you survive, you assume that it was because of what you did, but it may well be in spite of what you did (or because of what you didn't do).

Even though I recorded my thoughts shortly after a harrowing experience sailing through a typhoon in a 28' boat, I am still not sure whether running before the storm was the best course of action.

I am not even sure that having "been there, done that" is any real advantage. I (luckily) have not been in anything remotely like that since and hope I never am again. I can take some comfort from the fact that I handled the situation without panic and, eventually, brought my vessel into port without outside assistance (sans a mast and accompanying rigging). But, other than that slight comfort, I am not sure what I would do or not do next time -- for one thing, that was one specific instance and every instance is going to be slightly different.
jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by sneuman; 01-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
One problem, as I see it, is that when you're actually in the sh**, you don't really have time to evaluate your actions. If you survive, you assume that it was because of what you did, but it may well be in spite of what you did (or because of what you didn't do).

Even though I recorded my thoughts shortly after a harrowing experience sailing through a typhoon in a 28' boat, I am still not sure whether running before the storm was the best course of action.

I am not even sure that having "been there, done that" is any real advantage. I (luckily) have not been in anything remotely like that since and hope I never am again. I can take some comfort from the fact that I handled the situation without panic and, eventually, brought my vessel into port without assistance (sans a mast and accompanying rigging). But, other than that slight comfort, I am not sure what I would do or not do next time -- for one thing, that was one specific instance and every instance is going to be slightly different.
A typhoon??? Dude, where is that write up?!?!?!?

Old 01-12-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
A typhoon??? Dude, where is that write up?!?!?!?
It looks like it's still online. Mind you, this was for a general audience, so a lot of the sailor details are left out.:

http://asap.ap.org/stories/510321.s
http://asap.ap.org/stories/512278.s
http://asap.ap.org/stories/514506.s
blowinstink likes this.