Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2002

29 cascadefixer is on a distinguished road
New ( ? ) idea on anchoring

I had a thought on increasing holding power of ground tackle.It''s a modification to the age old technique of attaching a weight to the chain ahead of the anchor. If a person were to fill plastic antifreeze bottles with cement, and then attach them individually to the chain ahead of the anchor instead of one large, humongeous weight, the advantages in handling them are evident. Also, the antifreeze bottles being somewhat flat would store easily in the bilge . The plastic would preclude damage from the cement to hull. They could be attached to the rode by tying them with suitable cord attached to the handles.The other end of the cord would be attached to buoys on the surface. Pull the buoy to untie the knot, then pull the cord to raise the weight. Probably each weight, and I''m guessing, would weigh 10 - 15 pounds if the bottle were filled to the top. The bottle would not need to be completely filled with cement however. Any ideas on this from you folks ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it should work, but would having more than one angel be more trouble than it was worth? Cement is also not actually that dense, so the weights might end up taking a lot of space; a single solid lead angel the size of an antifreeze bottle might weigh 15kg- and have the same effect on the line''s catenary as three or four cement-filled bottles. Being designed for it''s purpose, a metal angel might also be easier to handle on a pitching foredeck. Interesting idea though -- lead is pretty pricey!
Old 09-02-2002

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Err-umm...try using the proper anchor and proper size and lenth of chain for conditions.However if you must...lead is about .25 cents per pound.

Dennis
Old 09-02-2002

Thanks for the replies. Didn''t know about so-called angels. Just had a thought, thought I''d post it. I''ll continue to work on it.
Old 09-04-2002

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road

An anti-freeze container filled with dry, powdered cement would weigh much less than the ventured 10lbs. Better to mix it with water and sand, pour that in the containers, and let it set to become concrete, which is much heavier than cement.
Old 09-04-2002

Placing a weight at the anchor will not do any good as it doesn''t change the catenary of the chain at all.
Are you having some problems anchoring? Or are you just thinking.

Dennis
Old 09-05-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Dennis,

While you are correct, I don''t think the original post mentioned anything about placing a weight at the anchor. It was stated that the weight would go on the chain ahead of the anchor, although it wasn''t clear exactly how far ahead.

Regards,
Duane
Old 09-05-2002

Right you are, Duane...never mind.

Dennis
Old 09-05-2002

Sorry to all of ya for not being more explicit! I meant that the containers would be filled with WET cement and allowed to harden. They would be attached to the anchor chain or the rode probably a distance equal to the water depth ahead of the anchor. The thought I had was it would hold the rode down, so the pull on the anchor would be more horizontal. This also would allow the anchorer ( anchoree ?) to use less scope on the anchor rode, lessening the drift circle at anchor. Using several weights instead of one large one would allow a way more than young skipper to more easily handle the weights involved. Also, if the skipper played out more scope with the weights, more holding would occur because the weights would act as surge protection in a storm situation. I thought of cement ( ok- concrete )because of the ease of moulding the weights. All cold work. No hot melting of lead involved. The cost of a 40 pound bag of ready mix is about 6 -7 bucks in my area. The containers are relatively flat, allowing them to be stored in the bilge down low. Nope- haven''t had to anchor yet. Boat is still a lawn decoration and community coversation piece, but I have hopes ! This thought was brought to you by a VERY amateur boat rebuilder,fecklessy hammering away and need to believe that I may use such knowledge sometime. Sigh.
Old 09-05-2002

cascadefixer,
Good evening.
Very good. Your thinking but what you''ve described has been around for hundreds of years. It''s called a sentinel.
This is a weight that is slid down an anchor rode to increase caternary thus increasing holding power.However, this practice does not take the place of proper anchoring technics.
If your anchor is not the correct type for a given bottom... it won''t hold or it won''t set.If the anchor is not heavy enough, it won''t hold or it won''t set.Myself,I don''t believe in them.You should be prepared to deploy more or heavier chain and or anchors.

Dennis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.