In other words, better to set the anchor for the anticipated big-blow, rather than the light breeze you arrived with. That said, you did well in choosing the safe spot in Harness Creek, which has very good holding and protection.
Thanks, JohnRPollard for the input. Thinking back, I'm not sure I was sure yet, when I anchored, where the wind would be shifting to. It's hard to recall the timing that specifically. Either way, I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.
JTo me good holding in mud is a crap shoot.
You may be right about that! And there might not have really been anything I could have done differently exactly. I do appreciate everyone offering some advice though, because it's helpful to think about what some options or alternatives might have been. I've learned a lot that way!
Just giving you a hard time, because I can.
Ha ha! Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. And sailingdog, I don't mind the input about the anchor type, since once we buy a boat, we'll be looking to make sure we have ground tackle we're happy with. That may or may not involve buying anything, depending on what comes with the boat, but if it's two of the exact same anchor, whatever it is, I'm likely to buy something else to augment.
Thanks everyone for your continued thoughts on this. I definitely appreciate it!