Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008

mightyhorton is on a distinguished road
Technique for Tying Boat to Dock in Surgy Conditions?

During certain times of the month we get "surgy" (sp?) conditions in the marina. Nothing really bad, but the slackly tied boats do get moving and then jerk on their mooring lines and cleats, and bang their fenders into the dock, and generally really work. The snugly tied boats just seem to sit there, snug against their fenders against the dock, they never have a chance to get moving. The nice new docks float. For whatever reason, literally nobody in the marina uses rubber snubbers built or tied into their dock lines.

The slackers say it is better to leave things loose and let the boats move, the snuggers say why let the mass build up momentum and then jerk stuff.

Which technique is more seamanshiplike? There is a case of beer riding on the consensus opinion. This isn't about where to run your bow or spring lines, for instance, but more about slack or snug.

Thanks.

Ian
S/V Freyja
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Here's a nice picture of a slacker.

We had some higher and lower than normal tides this past week.. Lot's of wind and rain.

Getting things just right without a floating dock takes a while of looking and adjusting at different tides and wave conditions.

This guy didn't do that... and is now facing a severe damages to his bowrail. The boat is Hanging by it from the piling and Power-Tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Technique for Tying Boat to Dock in Surgy Conditions?-1226081004.jpg  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
can you say... DOH!

There's no exact science to this. (Truth be known this guys spring line just got so old and snapped...)

Tie and check and check. Adjust and check. Look at other boats around!

I like longer lines... so my stern lines always cross and my spring lines run from stern and bow...not halfway down!
Attached Thumbnails
Technique for Tying Boat to Dock in Surgy Conditions?-1226081010.jpg  

I love
Old 12-27-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

So... If I have to weigh in... I pick snug as possible...AS POSSIBLE. Which takes a while to define.

I love
Old 12-27-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Neither. I don't like to have the boat tied "tight" so that it is always up against the fenders and I don't like more slack than necessary. I leave about 6" between the fenders and the dock while pushing hard away from the dock and I have the spring lines tied so that they will start pulling at the same time that the bow or stern line does when moving forward or back. Having said all that, for half a case of beer my vote can be bought .

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-27-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Too tight rubs the gelcoat with the fenders.
I leave mine so there is a little dance between.

With the sixteen to eighteen foot tides coming thru the current gets very strong in the harbors up here so,I wont let mine be loose.
Just watch the boat and see where she rides the best , that should be your answer.
Old 12-27-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Most important ...I check mine everyday
Old 12-27-2008

mightyhorton is on a distinguished road
yeah, the gelcoat thing. A tiny bit of slack, so no real momentum builds up before the fender rubs the gelcoat? Be a snugger with a nod to the slackers? some of the slacker boats here look they will work their cleats right out of their decks after a year or so.... you guys with non-floating docks that can't adjust your mooring lines every 6 hours, what do you do, half slack and half snug?

and jrd22, the ice cold Pacifico beer is here. Happy to share. It was about 80 today, cooled off for the night to about 70 or so..... bring some limes, will ya?
Old 12-27-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhorton View Post
yeah, the gelcoat thing. A tiny bit of slack, so no real momentum builds up before the fender rubs the gelcoat? Be a snugger with a nod to the slackers?
I think you said it best here...!

I love
Old 12-27-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhorton View Post
and jrd22, the ice cold Pacifico beer is here. Happy to share. It was about 80 today, cooled off for the night to about 70 or so..... bring some limes, will ya?
and with the greatest of Sailnet respect.

Bite Me!

I love