Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009

Jhildy is on a distinguished road
"Storm Tactics" Question

I just finished studying Pardey's book on Storm Tactics. It gives me great comfort knowing that I can sail offshore and have a reliable tactic that can "save" me during a blow.

My question is: How does one attach the pennant line to the anchor rode? Surely we don't entrust our life to a rolling hitch knot, do we??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2009

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
On the DVD they show a giant professional grade load tested swivel that Larry got galvanized. I think they used shackles to make the connections. What kind of boat do you have? There has been considerable debate regarding the Pardeys approach. What works for them might not work for you.

Last edited by sailboy21; 01-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2009

I thought the swivel shackle was attaching the anchor rode to the para-anchor, not to the pennant line? I am planning to gain experinece by crewing with OPO and eventually buy a blue water boat for offshore sailing---likely in the 40-48' range. Why would you hesitate to heave-to with breaking waves?
Old 01-02-2009

Sorry.. didn't have to book but google books does! Looks like they are calling the pennant line the line used to set the boat at an angle to the direction of pull from the sea anchor. It isn't fixed to the anchor line. They use a snatch block with the sheave clipped to the anchor rode which allows adjustment of rode length.
It is setup just like a barber hauler on a jib sheet.

I'm not saying I have any particular problem with their arrangement, just noting there has been considerable discussion and criticism on the internet and on the docks regarding their method.
Old 01-02-2009

Perfecto Sailboy!! Now I understand. Thanks for your response.

One further clarification point, will the snatch block ride up to the bow under pressure?? Should it be attached at the bow after all the anchor rode is deployed, then when being winched in, the snatch block will travel down the pennant line until the proper angle is achieved? Is this correct?
Old 01-03-2009

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhildy View Post
One further clarification point, will the snatch block ride up to the bow under pressure?? Should it be attached at the bow after all the anchor rode is deployed, then when being winched in, the snatch block will travel down the pennant line until the proper angle is achieved? Is this correct?
Yes, I believe so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 01-04-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Why would you hesitate to heave-to with breaking waves?
Heaving to as opposed to lying to a drogue of some sort will often place you beam on to the weather and consequently beam on to the sea. If a wave is big enough and breaks alongside you, the chances of being knocked down or even rolled are reasonably good.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-04-2009

Quote:
Perfecto Sailboy!! Now I understand. Thanks for your response.

The movie helps a lot. If you are going to follow their advice to the letter I highly suggest you buy the DVD. They do a really good job working out the details, and even film a deployment in what appears to be 30-40 knot wind from a light displacement boat. Plus there is some pretty cool footage of far off places, and some good shots of their boat.
If the pennant block rides up to the bow they advise letting more line out quickly to get the block off the bow.
Old 01-04-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Read all that you can, learn everything you can. But, when you get caught in a big storm, it doesn't matter what Lin and Larry did, it will be your storm in your boat and you trying to survive. So, in your own boat, learn how to reef down or drop sails quickly, how to run before a storm with or without sails, claw off a lee shore and practice laying ahull. Know your engine - how to change an impeller, how to change a clogged fuel filter , how to bleed the engine, etc.
And know that if you get caught in bad weather, you will run into situations that you haven't read about or seen. Here's some examples: In the last Regata de Amigos, the keel fell off of the s/v Cynthia Wood taking an experienced sailor to Davy Jones Locker. Aboard the s/v Satori, the boat was fine, but the crew was seasick and frightened and couldn't function, they abandoned the boat which was later found on a lee shore with little more than cosmetic damage. In the March '08 full gale that Paloma was caught in, after a knock down, the main hung up in the spreaders, ripped and couldn't be dropped and a line wound around the prop, so no engine. And the list goes on . . . . .
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by johnshasteen; 01-04-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2009

Good advice from all. I think I will by the Pardey's video too.