Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Navigators: The Sextant you own and have a License?

Hey people. Am Curious as to how many Navigators we have here? Their Sextants and if they have a License?

I have a C Plath sextant, bought it 2nd hand but from a reliable dealer.
The License is: 1600 ton Master / 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage.
along with ARPA, GMDSS, STCW and Able Seaman.

That is a start on this thread. NOW How about you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
sextant is a Heath navigation , london, uk i let my license expire in october. with the transportation workers ID card, drug test $50 ( i never used drugs ) physical , etc i figured it would cost close to $500 so i let it expire . my license was 100Ton near costal for auxiliary sailing vessels
Old 01-10-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
One of those $80-100 Davis Plastic sextants used for CN practice and occasional fixes with a three armed protractor. No licenses but part of the job is running boats in local coastal waters and a major nearby river and I'm often out when the weather is nasty, dark, or foggy. Fog gives me a neck ache almost every time.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 01-10-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
No licence, but I have the Canadian PCOC since '99 (when it came out), the Toronto Harbour Licence (involves essentially maneuvering a small outboard skiff around a marina and identifying some basic COLREGS stuff), and have passed the following courses: the 12-class "Boating" course from CPS, the 4 week "Coastal Pilotage" course from CPS, and a six-class Celestial Navigation course offered by a former CPS instructor at the club.

I also have an Astra IIIB sextant, a Freiberger Yacht sextant and a Davis 25 for the kid. I carry a hand-held compass and an old optical rangefinder, as well as a Trimble GPS, two Magellan handhelds and a Raymarine late '90s chartplotter. I have a Ritchie Globemaster with compensators at the helm and a KVH gyro compass. I also carry all local charts, although I tend to rely on Notice to Mariners over the radio as Lake Ontario doesn't have a lot of news in this regard.

Lastly, my watch has a recording barometer and a compass, but I have to get it five and a half feet off the steel deck before it will read properly! So that's a load of info and backup.

I would like to take the RYA Yachtmaster and then the Oceanmaster courses in Britain (I hold dual citizenship and thus it would be a matter of getting there and affording the time and cost of a few weeks in a B&B) because they seem to be the most respected qualifications around the world short of the actual "tickets" professional mariners or naval personnel can acquire.

The "six-pack" offered by the U.S. Coast Guard is considered pretty basic and Caribbean-oriented by non-U.S. sailors, as it is no more difficult than the basic licensing you need in most countries to sail at all. Alex is pretty up on this sort of thing. Of course, the vast majority of Canadian and U.S. sailors have little or no formal training at all, as the PCOC in Canada is a bit of a joke, but fractionally better than nothing, I suppose.

One point: The USCG will only certify U.S. citizens, which is fine, I suppose, but I would take the six-pack if I could, just to have SOMETHING. Canadian Power Squadron courses are quite similar, but they are NOT "official qualifications". I would have to go to "Canadian Sailor School" for that, and I'm a bit old to consider a career on lake freighters....
Old 01-10-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Davis mark 15
!00 ton Masters, sail and tow endorsements.
Old 01-10-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post

The "six-pack" offered by the U.S. Coast Guard is considered pretty basic and Caribbean-oriented by non-U.S. sailors, as it is no more difficult than the basic licensing you need in most countries to sail at all.

One point: The USCG will only certify U.S. citizens, which is fine, I suppose, but I would take the six-pack if I could, just to have SOMETHING.

The 6 pack can be held by a non-citizen. It is the masters that you have to be a citizen to hold.

Please, sit for the 6-pack test, I think you find it more then "pretty basic."
Old 01-10-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I've got the newest model. No license necessary!

Navigators: The Sextant you own and have a License?-gpsextant.jpg
harmonic likes this.
Old 01-11-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
The 6 pack can be held by a non-citizen. It is the masters that you have to be a citizen to hold.

Please, sit for the 6-pack test, I think you find it more then "pretty basic."
I'll check that out, but it looked less daunting than the RYA courses. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Bubb, this site states explicitly that only U.S. citizens need apply.

Six Pack Captain's Course

I see the difference between "Captain" and "Master", and the classes of Inland, Great Lakes and Coastal, but I'm looking for something more along the Yachtmaster line anyway. As you can see here, you take the Yachtmaster course after a large number of sea miles and days

RYA Sailing School - Fastrack Yachtmaster Courses, Gibraltar and Spain.

and the reason is that they appear to consolidate, verify and if necessary, expand and correct the knowledge that didn't get you killed getting the the U.K. Of course, you can just sit the exam if you think you already know it all, and qualify without further training. That's probably why Yachtmaster/Oceanmaster carry weight with insurance companies.

Last edited by Valiente; 01-11-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Tamaya
Master, Oceans, Steam or Motor, Any Gross Tons
Radar Observer
Old 01-11-2009
Banned

from the CG web site

Proof of Citizenship and Any Legal Name Change:
To obtain a Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD), you must be a U.S. citizen or an alien "lawfully admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence." To obtain a license, you must be a U.S. citizen except non-citizens may apply for an Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) license limited to undocumented vessels less than 5 net tons. All original license and document transactions must provide acceptable proof of nationality (i.e., original passport, birth certificate, or baptismal certificate). All subsequent applications by non-U.S. citizens (i.e., renewal, upgrade, duplicate) must provide proof of nationality and immigration status. All original license and document transactions must provide an original social security card. If your name has changed due to marriage, divorce, or a legal name change, you must provide documentation of your name change (for example, a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or judicial name change) and your current legal name.

��
Verification of Sea Service: Several options are available for the mariner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.