SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Heaving to on Tayana 37 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/50413-heaving-tayana-37-a.html)

lancelot9898 01-12-2009 12:08 AM

Heaving to on Tayana 37

Like to hear of experiences of anyone heaving to and sail configuration used under extreme conditions. Experiences with a Tayana 37 would be most appreciative.

wwilson 01-15-2009 11:12 PM

Heaving to

lance...

I have heaved-to in 40-kt wind. My boat (HR-39) is of similar displacement (10-T) to yours - with a bit larger sail area.

I assume your Tayana-37 is the cutter rig version. In any case, she is a "long" if not full keel configuration and my boat is fin-keeled. My guess is that your full keel might behave, if anything, better than a fin while hove-to.

My boat is sloop rigged, but carries a stowable inner-forestay for use with a staysail. We heaved to with very good results in 40-knots with 4-6-foot steep chop. The mainsail was reefed to a deep #2 reef and the staysail (~200 sq ft) was rigged. The working jib was completely furled.

I eased both the main and the staysail sheets as though I were on a close reach then put the bow through the wind - leaving the staysail backwinded. I tightened the wheel lock nut with a bit of weather helm correction set in the rudder.

I was very pleased to see that the boat tracked nicely - forereaching at about 2-kt into the wind with no tendency at all to roll off to windward or leeward. Unremarkable results I suppose, but still a very nice surprise for a fin keel, semi-skeg rudder configuration boat. I think I went below for a snack of Stugeron.

My guess is that your Tayana will do quite well hove to.

Wayne

lancelot9898 01-16-2009 12:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Wayne. Yes the Tayana is full keel with a cutaway forefoot and a cutter rig. I've practiced heaving to only under moderate conditions (around 20 plus knots) with a full set of sails up trying to simulate more harsh conditions when I would notmally have a reef or two set and the yankee furled. The boat will slow to only about 2 knots, but the thing that bothers me is that I'm almost 90 degrees to the wind whereas I want to be about 45 to 50. If large seas were running that is not where I want the boat. I know if I furl up the yankee that I can get the boat to lie closer to the wind, but under higher wind conditions....I'm thinking that I might still have a problem getting it to point at 50 degrees. Were you able to get your boat to point about 50 degrees to the wind? Thanks for your input.

Lance

PS Plus with the wheel locked...as the boat rides up and down the large seas the wind will moderate in the troughs and pick up on the crest causing the boat to point higher in the higher winds and bear off in the troughs. Hopefully it does not bear off beam on.

wwilson 01-16-2009 12:50 PM

Lance,

I am very surprised at the 90-deg to the wind that you experience. Agree, that is not going to be desirable. Yes, my boat hove to ~45-deg (or less) off the wind. And, while 40-kt that I experienced seemed pretty "brisk" to me at the time, it does not add up to the, "extreme" conditions that you originally asked about. There was relatively little interference to the boat's orientation from the sea-state (4-6-ft steep chop).

I would think 20-kt would be enough to get the boat to heave to. You of course know your boat better than I, nonetheless I suggest that you reef the main, furl the headsail completely and if the cutter sail is on a furler, reduce its size by 30%.

The idea is to get the centers of force (the two countering sails) over the center of resistance (the keel). Bring the sail force as close to the mast as you can by reefing. You may have to experiment a little with the amount of main vs cutter sail that you use to find the balance "sweet spot" on the Tayana.

With the balance right, the effect of a slight change in orientation of the hull from sea or wind gets quickly countered by "the other" (back-winded) sail. It may be that the cutaway on the forefoot of your keel moves the center of resistance far enough aft that you will need a bit more main and less headsail.

As a side note, we were surprised by the amount of leeway that even a pretty decently performing cruising boat with a relatively deep, 6'2" keel can experience when beating into 40-kt. of wind. In short, heaving to was a welcome relief!

Best Regards,
Wayne

whroeder 01-17-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwilson (Post 432994)
I am very surprised at the 90-deg to the wind that you experience. Agree, that is not going to be desirable. Yes, my boat hove to ~45-deg (or less) off the wind.

I have a Macgreggor 26x, very light, high freeboard. So when the winds go over 15 it's time to think about going home. That said, any changes to sails can be instantly seen, so I'll throw my $.02 in. As you bring the boom closer to center, the main gets more drive and the rudder brings the boat closer to the wind. I sheet about 30 degrees boom to center.

If you're 90 to the wind the main is out too far.

lancelot9898 01-17-2009 11:32 AM

Actually the main is sheeted the same as on a close haul....about 10 degrees or so off centerline. The 90 degree estimate is just that an estimate and maybe I'm lying up to 80, but not much lower. The reason is that I have too much head sail out for the conditions, but I wanted to try to dublicate the boat's behavior under much more severe conditions. I'm doing this in 20 plus knots and that is not much for a heavy full keel boat. I'ld just like to know how others with a simular boat have achieved hove to under a more severe condition. As an aside, I have hove to under 50 knot wind gust in order to reef the main. At the time I was close hauled in around 20 knots under full sail in protected waters. A wind gust hit the boat and water came up to the portholes. It all happened so quickly that I didn't have time to think...just put the boat through a tack and hove to. I spent the next few minutes putting a reef in the main....By the time I had the first reef in, the wind had moderated back to 20 or so I didn't bother to put the second reef in. I hove to under starboard tack so that the halyards and reef lines were all on the starboard side which was easier to work on since the port side rail was in the water. I would not have wanted to do this with large seas running...

Jhildy 01-17-2009 12:12 PM

I just finished studying the Pardey's on Storm Tactics with the primary tactic being hove-to. I believe they would suggest experimenting with a para-anchor and using a winched in pennant line from the stern to the anchor line in order to adjust the angle of the boat to the wind in order to reach the optimal 50 degrees into the wind. The para-anchor would also reduce your forereaching. This para-anchor was necessary for them in very extreme conditions, which is always a good thing to plan for.

captainmidnight 01-18-2009 11:19 PM

What is being described here is not "heaving to"

jackdale 01-19-2009 11:35 AM

Depends on the boat

I do not have much experience with full keel boats, which I understand will heave-to well, i.e., somewhere in the range of 45 degrees off the wind.

The fin keel boats I sail tend to heave-to on a beam reach. I takes a sone fiddling with the rudder, the main and the foresail to get the bow up in to the wind.

Jack

Cruisingdreamspress 01-29-2009 09:18 PM

Heaving to

Lance,

I have owned Mika, my Hans Christian 38 since 1977. Have had extensive offshore experience. I f you check out FAQ on my website you will find my ideas regarding heaving to...hope this adds to your gathering of opinions.