Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
There might be a bit of confusion in terminology here.

When I had trouble docking, I retrofitted amidship cleats on my Viking 33. Mounted on cambered and Cetol'd teak blocks I made up in the club woodshop, I through-bolted these through the cored deck and 1/4" backing plates using the Don Casey method of keeping the water out of the boat (Maine Sail would approve of my work, I'm sure!)

The reason for the retrofit? This allowed me to take a "breast line" from this particular cleat athwart the CE of the boat (think "fulcrum") and run from the tiller and over the lifelines to the dock, with one hand, and the other hand for the boat. (This hand along has typically a boat hook held by my pinkie, but I don't bother if I'm being blown on).

If you throw this line around the bollard on the dock, and use the hook to snag the stern line you've presciently looped under the pushpit and over the lifeline, you can stop the boat and cleat off the bow line at your leisure.

The confusion arises because while the breast line, or amidships line, can act as a "spring", a spring line will typically run fore and aft from a midship cleat to intermediate cleats on the dock or all the way to the bow and stern cleats or bollards. The purpose of one is simply to keep the boat close to the dock, while the purpose of the springs is to act a bit like shock absorbers or snubbers and to insure fore and aft motion at dock is kept to a minimum.

My "full dock line" set-up for my steel cruiser consists of two 3/4" bow lines to the dock, two 3/4" stern lines, one 3/4" spring foreward and one aft, and a "hail mary" breast line doubled over to the amidship bollard on deck. The springs, bow and stern lines have chafe gear and I have five fenders out.

That's what I do if it's blowing 35-45 knots at the dock, which is the most I've seen in Toronto except for a few 55-65 knots squalls in the summer, which tend to last 20 minutes at most.

If I'm tying up for lunch, however, on a fair weather day, it's one bow, one stern and one doubled breast line, which is the last line I release when we leave.
Old 01-23-2009

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
Try looking at the following site for a good description and illustration of how to do spring lines.

Tying Boats to Docks Using Springlines
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I use the same system as painkiller,,,with a fender..**:**)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-23-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I use the same system as painkiller,,,with a fender..**:**)
I use the same principal, but I use a line from the Midship cleat going forward to the dock. The line is preset to lenght and is left on the finger within easy reach. We Dock bow in /Port side tie. I use the engine to stop the boat, than in reverse with the single line amidship leading forward; prop walk nicely tucks the stern to the PROTECTED pilling. Take your time, and tie up the remainder of your lines.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-25-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
The nice thing about the spring line approach is that it works in your slip, at the fuel dock, an away slip, and just about anywhere else.

Chef, I often find that the boat will bump the dock anywhere EXCEPT where the fender is! I'll put the fender in after the boat is situated, but I've always found it hard to anticipate precisely where to set it for the approach. I have one of those long Aere fenders and I don't seem to hit the bullseye even with that! Instead, I rely on my rubrail which, on my Beneteau, is actually just a protruding metal toerail. In this regard, I'm jealous of the Hunters and Catalinas.

Another nice thing about the spring line approach is that you can move the stern by turning the wheel. My slip is a little wide for the boat. I pull bow-in. While powering against the spring, I turn the wheel and the stern will walk over to my out-of-reach stern piling. Then I just walk it back over to pin it so I can secure the rest of the lines.
Old 01-25-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to adopt it. On my boat, I have an amidships cleat on the genoa track and can adjust it's position. Unfortunately, the track is a bit inboard, and the sector open for either breast or spring lines is limited without tugging against stanchions or bimini. I have worked out a system of clipping on a stern line and a bow line (or breast line) to the slip's windward buddy line (a line tight between outer piling and pier piling) using carabiners on the lines. The bow or breast line is led to the helm station through a snatch block so I can tend both stern and bow line from the helm area. I normally back into the slip and this works well for me. The problem is that if I go to another slip with no buddy line, then I need to use the sprinline concept. This stanchion problem is unique perhaps to my boat, so I'll see if I can't come up with some variant. I really don't want to be putting pressure on the stanchions and I prefer not to have my hull in contact with the pilings. As has been pointed out, preset fenders are almost always in the wrong place, and in a narrow slip like mine, I can't set a fender over the side in any case since it will hang up on the piling when I'm coming in. Again, thanks.
Old 01-25-2009
KJH

KennethJ.Henricks is on a distinguished road
I would echo the shout outs for Captain Jack Klang and his DVD on docking. I'm actually looking forward to hearing him again at next weekend's Strictly Sail, Chicago.
Old 01-25-2009

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Great thread and info. I just ordered Cpt jack's dvd.
Old 01-25-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Many, if not most, sailboats are poorly set up for docking (mooring). It's usually not the absence of cleats so much as it is the absence of chocks at the deck edge.

Valiente added midships cleats but one can add chocks to achieve much the same effect. Particularly if you're single-handing they are quite helpful. cleats will tend to snag sheets and other lines which will usually pass over a chock. You then have to lead your line to a cleat to secure it of course. But once you're alongside that is easy enough to do. You may even elect to run the mooring lines completely differently once alongside. If you've a midships chock you can lead a line through it and then aft to the cockpit so that you have both the standing part and the hauling part with you in the cockpit, with a bight through the chock. As you come alongside you place the eye of the standing part over a bollard or dock cleat. Now you can control the hauling part at a cleat aft or even a convenient winch.

If you've a line to the dock via a midships chock there really isn't much you cannot now do to manoeuver the boat.

Klang's dvd is quite good at showing this in practice and theory for different conditions.