Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Spearfishing off the southwest tip of Fishers Island, NY I found an anchor twice, IIRC. They were stuck in piles of boulders, right where the fish hang out.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Bene actually my thinking was that the rode would be disconnected from the bow. Otherwise yeah, the ring system isn't actually doing anything. The mechanical system should be a counterweight balancing the stuck anchor at a ring. I picture the two sections of chain hanging down parallel from the ring.

Maybe that's not what the makers intend, but it's the only way I can think of using the thing.

I agree that the traditional approach of mark it and come back later seems just as good.
Old 02-19-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'm convinced there are only two ways to keep people away from a buoy. One, is to use an inflatable or dummy horn mine. Even jetskiers are bright enough to know it might blow up, although they might try to take it home anyway.

The other would be to use a white buoy and just mark it "DANGER - MINE" and explain that as meaning it is MINE and I'm cranky about people touching it.

Or maybe stop down by Mines-R-Us and post the video on YouTube afterwards? (G)
The Authorities would take a dim view of a claim that the anchorage is a mine field... But drunken idiots would still see how close they could come to it without setting it off.

Take a tether-ball paint it black paste three mine type horns on it and maybe put an "Acme Sporting Goods" or "Acme Arms Dealer" sticker on it also. Then float it above your anchor. And when someone comes real close to it. Set off a M-80 fire cracker and watch their pants turn brown.

Whilie Coyote from the Road Runner cartoons would know where to get those stickers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 02-19-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
M-80? You're showing our age, it is almost impossible to buy those anyplace these days. Easier to mix up your own plastique, following the TSA's own statement that Tang and concentrated peroxide (hair bleach) will do the job.

Tang, who'da thought it was more than a breakfast drink?!
Old 02-19-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Obviously Tang was never intended to be a stable compound at sea level.
Old 07-09-2009

gershel is on a distinguished road
Hate to open up this old thread, But.. I had this idea for a long time but never tried it.
I thought of tying a line at the right spot on the anchor for extractinig it, and then tying that line to the chain with light breakable line or tape(?). The line to the anchor would only be about 30' or so, and could be left connected permanently.
Now, in case you get snagged, You would pull on the tripline and break it away from the chain, let the chain loose, then pull the anchor up backwards with the tripline.
Does this make any sense, or am I missing something. Just an idea I had while day-dreaming.

Marc
Old 07-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's not a bad idea, but don't leave it connected permanently, as the anchor windlass gypsy will chafe the hell out of it... I'd point out that the trip line will need to be at least as long as the water is deep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
Hate to open up this old thread, But.. I had this idea for a long time but never tried it.
I thought of tying a line at the right spot on the anchor for extractinig it, and then tying that line to the chain with light breakable line or tape(?). The line to the anchor would only be about 30' or so, and could be left connected permanently.
Now, in case you get snagged, You would pull on the tripline and break it away from the chain, let the chain loose, then pull the anchor up backwards with the tripline.
Does this make any sense, or am I missing something. Just an idea I had while day-dreaming.

Marc

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Marc, there's a commercial product akin to that idea. They take a chain from the tripline mounting point, to the regular anchor chain, with a little slack and a shear bolt (shear pin) sized for your anchor chain, that now connects to the normal attachment point on the anchor stock.

The idea is elegantly simple. If your anchor is foul, you can come back over it and the shear pin will shear off, so your chain is now connected only to the tripline mount--allowing you to drag the anchor back out from whatever fouled it. In theory.

Saw an ad for this someplace a few weeks ago, no idea where or what the name was, or how well it works in the real world. But, given a shear pin or a couple of shear "links", anyone could rig up an anchor the same way.
Old 07-09-2009

gershel is on a distinguished road
I guess there's something to be said day-dreaming. LOL
Marc
Old 07-09-2009
Oz Member

TADRON is on a distinguished road
Use of Anchor Ring Retriever

Attn. erps and WheresTheBrakes.
The Anchor Ring Retriever is used to assist in getting the anchor onboard by backing away from an already dislodged anchor, the drag of the large float through the water causes the ring to slip down the anchor rode (nylon etc) to the anchor thus causing the anchor to float at the surface. Allowing the anchor to be retrieved without having to lift it's weight off the sea floor.

Last edited by TADRON; 07-19-2009 at 10:10 PM.