Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009

ardoin is on a distinguished road
Strange winds

This is a first for me. With the temps warming I took her out this morning on the Chesapeake Bay. On the way out the instruments showed the wind from the South. So once I got out a bit I cut the engine down and pointed her to the wind and began to raise the sails. But the wind in the sails was NE instead of S. This was confusing for a while. After a couple of minutes I decide to sail with the wind I felt on my face rather than what was shown at the instruments. Went out NNE for a while and as I got further from land the wind shifted more to E or ESE but the top of the mast still showed the wind from the South. After about 2 hours it all went back to normal and the wind was SSW.
I imagine this was cause by the temperature inversion cause by the very cold water and the warm land, but it was the first time I've encountered a case where the wind at 60ft up the top of the mast was completely different that the wind on the deck and the sails.
Learn something new every time I sail. Guess that's why my house floats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Could it have been an issue of the instruments hanging up/sticking at the top of the mast, after the long winter lay-up? And then after sailing a while the windvane loosened up and began to show the correct wind direction?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-08-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Where you sailing near any bridges or cliffs or other landforms that could change the course of the wind or create eddies in the air? Close to land you'd also expect different wind at different heights (why sloops are so tall). That would explain why it changed as you got further from the land.

Also, how was the sail trim? Such a difference in the wind direction should have made it difficult if not impossible to trim the sails so that they weren't luffing at any height... maybe with lots of twist. If trimming was straightforward then I would look to instrument problems.

Also, what about signs on land? What direction were flags pointed, etc.
Old 03-08-2009

ardoin is on a distinguished road
John, instruments are fine. I live aboard and sail in the winter (including this saturday without problems)
Adam, there are no high land masses on the bay and i kept looking at the sail trim expecting to see the main twist, but all i saw was some strange twist in the jib, but not much. Also, the water is about 37 deg and the air temps on the bay were cool (i guess about 40 deg, i had to wear a wool cap, warm jacket and gloves). When i got back to Back Creek, the temps were in the 70's and there were really strange looking light refractions just above the horizon as that i noticed on my return to the Creek. I didn't notice them on the way out.
There was even a time when i was sailing just over 5kts on a starboard tack while the instruments showed i was heading straight into the wind.
Definitely a new and strange experience for me.
Was anyone else out in the center of the bay this morning to early afternoon?

Old 03-08-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
The wind can do so really weird things in this part of the country as well. Last summer I was heading back in to the marina on a beam reach. Suddenly and without warning the boat jybed and I was beam reaching from the other tack. Next thing I know the sails are luffing and the wind is still coming around. I looked up to see the windex do a 360, and before it was over (about 10 seconds) I was heading in on my original tack and point of sail. Gotta love Kansas weather.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 03-11-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Smile

The phenomenon is not that strange. Ask anyone who has ever watched a football game at Giants Stadium!!!
Old 03-12-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I've only experienced that close to obstructions. Sailing up a canal among trees and houses I've had the top of the main belly one way, the bottom the other. She kept sailing though. The other time was under the Brooklyn Bridge, when the boat slowly rotated several times, regardless of what I did with the tiller. The wind seemed to be coming straight down.
Old 03-12-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Also a rapidly passing Low will cause the wind to either back or veer as it goes by. And the inversion could be adding to it also.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 03-12-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We had some funny wind during a race once. Coming up to the finish mark, (Take your own time passing within 75' of it when it bears 360ļ) doing about six knots upwind on starboard, when I notice the wind's riffles on the water stop in a zone about 100 yards away from the mark. We proceed at six knots to sail into an absolutely flat calm. We stop, lose steerage way, and get spun around by the tide several times before the current carries us back into the breeze. We gybe around, sheet in, pick up speed to six knots again... and sail back into the absolutely flat calm. This happened three times, with competitors coming up from behind and having the same thing happen to them. Finally, we decided to stay in the breeze well past the mark so that the tide would carry us towards it, instead of away from it, when we sailed out of it, and we were able to finish. Very strange.
Old 03-13-2009

39512 is on a distinguished road
Frank Bethwaites book Performance Sailing has a lot of information regarding the differences in wind at the surface and wind aloft and some of the factors involved.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.