Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009

Petar is on a distinguished road
Man Overboard marker, anyone used it?

Hi,
I see a lot of boats carrying MOB markers onboard. So,e easily accessible and ready to deploy and some secured on deck etc.

has anyone used it and whether it is worthwhile having it onboard?

Any comments welcome

petar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2009

POLKA247 is on a distinguished road
Hi Petar,

i have used them for practice only. Most off shore boats carry them. It is easier to see the flag flying 5 ft above the water then to see some ones head and arms waving. I believe a strobe light is also attached to them for night time use.
Old 03-13-2009

billangiep is on a distinguished road
I single hand 99% of the time so it would'nt do me much good to have one?
Old 03-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with many is that their design doesn't let them be deployed quickly enough to be really helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I attatched a strobe to the top of mine. It also sat in a pieve of pvc next to the tiller. The pvc strapped to the stern pulpit. The pole was attatched to the bouy ring by about 3 foot of line. It was tied to the stern pulpit also with three slip knots. It was a very simple release......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-13-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
I don't sail at sea, so don't have, nor have ever used one. However, when I was in the Navy, we frequently conducted man overboard drills and also from time to time, made personnel transfers between ships using a 26 ft. motorboat. In open sea (not storm conditions), there are frequently significant swells. Sometimes, that motorboat would drop completely out of sight from the second level on the ship as it motored across the water. In the man overboard drills, keeping sight of the man (dummy) was difficult. Add swells or significant waves, and you could loose sight of the man. The man overboard poles have the red/yellow flag suspended above the water, and would, it seems to me, be much easier to spot than a person in the water with only his head sticking above the surface.
Old 03-13-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
It can't hurt.

I still like the idea of adding a stack of styrofoam plates though.
Old 03-13-2009

POLKA247 is on a distinguished road
the boats I have sailed on are set up like i2f's. It is my understanding that both mob and vessel meet at the pole. Horse shoe ring is for flotation and retrieval of mob. In theory. we always use jack lines and strap in as well.
Old 03-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In heavier seas and wind, it isn't always possible for the MOB to meet the boat... the boat usually has to go to him/her. The purpose of an MOB pole is to mark the location of the MOB... and if you can't deploy it quickly enough, it is pretty useless.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Adding a drogue and whistle

I think it is important to have a drogue attached to the MOB and life ring combo since otherwise it can drift faster than a person could swim to it. I have a MOB pole, whistle, light and drogue connected by 50 feet of floating line. It is set up along the lower lifeline aft of the gate (center cockpit boat) and can be released quite quickly. Without a SSB antenna in the backstay the pole can handily mounted along the backstay. I also have a LifeSling and tackle for bringing someone back aboard.

My question in all this is what is the priority if someone goes over: getting the MOB out, hitting the MOB button GPS/plotter or getting the boat at least slowed down. To me it makes sense to hit the button, get the pole out and then get stopped and turned around but I am open to counter arguments.