Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

View Poll Results: Do you sail with a sharp knife on your person?
Yes 50 63.29%
Sometimes 19 24.05%
No 10 12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009
Sea Dweeb

RanAweigh is on a distinguished road
One hand opening half serrated half conventional edge. Always clipped in my pocket or on my belt.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
I keep a rigging knife on a lanyard attached to a beltloop, and often a swiss army knife in a pocket as well. You never know.
Old 03-17-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I've always carried a knife when working off shore. And when going to a restaurant I may need it to cut the meat that I've ordered. Mainly because that restaurant's steak knifes are not worth the metal they are made of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 03-20-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
I carry a half serrated edge knife. Forget about cutting vectran or spectra cored lines with a conventional edge. Learned the hard away when trying to cut away halyards after a dismasting at night. Fortunately, one of the crew had a proper rescue knife.
Old 03-20-2009
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I carry a knife at all times, work pants or shorts, at church or out sailing. I guess it is the diver in me as well as the sailor. My preferance at work is a spyderco 17mm rescue, great for cutting all kinds of rope. If I'm at play I carry a Myerchin navigator pro that has a locking blade and marlinspike. I feel naked without a knife. Been carrying since I was ten.
Old 03-20-2009

Tench745 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tench745 Send a message via Yahoo to Tench745
I'm a former boyscout, and a technical theatre student so I always have a sharp knife with me. Well, I always carry at least one knife, but the sharpness can vary. I carry a small pocket knife, a multi-tool, and when doing anything rigging related I carry a rigger's knife as well. I need to get a good whetstone and sharpen all my knives but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

"Without the element of uncertainty and even danger... there is no adventure." -John Wright (PDRacer forums)
Old 03-21-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
That was an interesting result. With 63% carrying knives on their person, I'm clearly the minority. Doesn't mean I'm going to change, just interesting.

A quick and dirty analyis of the posted comments was also quite revealing.
  • Of the 79 votes there were 26 posted responses
  • Of the 26 posts, 17 said they carried knives all the time
  • Of those only 4 said that they had actually had to use them in an emergency. One to cut a locked halyard, one a tow line, another a jammed anchor. Of these I consider only the towing one to be an "emergency" and that post acknowleged that they were saved by having a knife nearby, not on them.
  • The 4th was during a dismasting and the "emergency" was cutting away the halyards. It is almost certain that the poster wasn't carrying a bolt cutter on his belt to cut away the standing rigging so the effect of having a knife on the belt is actually moot.
So I'm not convinced that carrying a knife is a lifesaver. The guy who was dragged down by his anchor would have had to have serious presence of mind to take get the knife off his belt, open the correct blade (not a marlin spike ) and then cut the line while he is heading for the bottom. And if he cut the wrong side in his panic, the anchor and he would have continued to the bottom. He probably would have drowned anyway. He surely would have on my boat because I anchor in water shallow enough for the rode that is out to be chain only. . And he would in any case have been brutally mauled as he went through the bow roller.

A jammed winch needs to be cleared immediately, not left until later. I have been lucky and never jammed a halyard winch but have several times had over-rides on my sheet winches. I clear those using another winch. Haven't found an over-ride yet that I can't pull out by putting the tail of the sheet on the opposite winch. If it's too tight, luff the boat. And I do it right away.

I have thought about this and I can't visualise a situation on my boat where I would have to cut anything in a true "emergency situation" where the time taken to get a knife from it's pocket in the cockpit will make it too late. I understand the cutting of an anchor line or a tow line or a rope around the prop but those are not really emergencies (OK maybe the tow-line). I can't imagine an emergency situation that would be solved by cutting a sheet or a halyard.

Maybe we should start another poll to indicate how many people "lock" lines on their cleats. Because I don't. A few cross-over wraps and then a turn or two.My dock lines have spliced loops. But to tuck the tail under the last wrap? Never. That's a gilt invitation to an emergency.

Anyway, thanks for the responses to the poll, it was interesting.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 03-21-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
This is what I carry at all times land or sea. I got a sheth that I wear under my pant leg when about. I also have a Gerber multi I carry at all times. All my shorts have belt hoops and I always wear a belt. When I am snorkeling I strap it to my leg.
Attached Thumbnails
To cut or not to cut, that is the question-grey-divers-knife.gif  
Old 03-25-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Have never had to use it, knock wood, but I do keep one on my belt.
Old 03-25-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
If you get an over-ride in any winch; it could be so tight that you can't pull it free, .
Rolling hitch ...

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)