Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009

Skipper995 is on a distinguished road
No, not true

Genoa cars do NOT have a fixed location for any head sail. Setting an approximate starting point for the location is OK till you start to trim. Then the location needs to be moved based on wind, waves, and AWA.
Those who sail around with their genoa cars frozen in location will never get the best out of their sails. Don Guillette is famous for saying the genoa car that is fixed is like a broken clock, it's right two times a day. All the rest of the time it's wrong.
Trim is trim, there is no such thing as "racing trim". Trim is either right or it isn't. Every control line on the boat needs adjustment, halyards, sheets, vang, cunningham....you name it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Hey, Skip, thanks for the catchy quote...but you should apply some perspective. Sure every control line CAN have adjustment, to say that all NEED adjustment is way overkill for the non-racing sailor.

If a boat has a fixed prop or a dirty bottom or uses a soft bottom paint or has sails 3-4 years old or older or carries two anchor setups or a lot of cruising gear or drinks beer while sailing... then adjustable genoa blocks won't matter a hill of beans to its performance, or lack of performance as may be more relative, other than costing some money better spent elsewhere and adding another source of stubbed toes. I would expect that more than 95% of Sailnet boats fall into the above category.

My race ride has adjustable cars and once set for the headsail of choice, they get adjusted further perhaps every other race...I find it more frequent to want to move the car in/out which still requires setting a barberhaul.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-24-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2009

sailingfool, if your race ride only adjusts its genoa lead cars every other race or so, you're obviously not winning any races. On the ride I race on those cars are almost never still. But we are racing competition that would surely eat us alive if we weren't using everything at our disposal. But although racers want to get their trim right is no excuse for those who are not racing. Sure you can 'set it and forget it' with virtually any sail trim adjustment but it's hardly the right thing. I know there are skippers that could care less if their sail trim is correct but I enjoy sailing and getting my boat in proper trim is part of that enjoyment.
Cheers!
Old 03-25-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper995 View Post
sailingfool, if your race ride only adjusts its genoa lead cars every other race or so, you're obviously not winning any races....
In more races than not, the wind and sea conditions are quite similar to the preceding race, fiddling with the genoa cars would be just that, fiddling. You shouldn't take everything you read so seriously...

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-25-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2009

Ok

..you just relax and let things go, I'll 'fiddle'

..we'll be waitin' for you at the bar!

Cheers
Old 03-25-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Jib cars should be adjusted for wind angle and sail size.

When close-hauled the cars need to be back. But if you bear away onto a beam reach or a broad recah you will spilling air of the top of the leech. Not only does this mean the sail is depowered, but having the leech fluttering increases the wear in the sail.

This not a racing "thing". It is proper seamanship.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-25-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Jib cars should be adjusted for wind angle and sail size.

When close-hauled the cars need to be back. But if you bear away onto a beam reach or a broad recah you will spilling air of the top of the leech. Not only does this mean the sail is depowered, but having the leech fluttering increases the wear in the sail.

This not a racing "thing". It is proper seamanship.

Jack
Thanks for the little lecture.

So how about a survey..how many Sailneters cruising-about adjust their jibsheet leads forward and out to the rail when they are jib reaching...? Do you keep a short sheet and spare blocks readily at hand? Do you know what a short sheet is...?

I'd bet not many...while such adjustment is proper sail trim, it is too inconvenient for cruisers, leaving it to be in fact a racing "thing".
Old 03-25-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I recently switched from pin to line control carrs, or should I say, I converted my pin carrs to line control. Boy is it a "LOT" easier to adjust the carrs as needed, along with allowing one to adjust the genoa and jibs to the wind conditions. Granted I do race, but even on day sails. I hate healing when I do not have to, or should I say, spouse does not like the healing, along with not going as fast forward as one might be able to when you have carrs, be them Jib or genoa or mainsail set correctly.

I even tried drilling two holes inbetween the holes that would 4" apart, it was better, but a pain to adjust under load! You especially notice this if you have a deck setup clew vs one that is 20-24" off the deck like my cruise 140 is vs my carbon race 155. Amaxing what 1" or movement to a carr will do for performance.

marty
Old 03-25-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Thanks for the little lecture.

So how about a survey..how many Sailneters cruising-about adjust their jibsheet leads forward and out to the rail when they are jib reaching...? Do you keep a short sheet and spare blocks readily at hand? Do you know what a short sheet is...?

I'd bet not many...while such adjustment is proper sail trim, it is too inconvenient for cruisers, leaving it to be in fact a racing "thing".
Answer - yes. It is really necessary on a Nauticat.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-26-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Answer - yes. It is really necessary on a Nauticat.

Jack
Egads..... another Nauticater. Hi Jack I'm no racer but I did have line adjustable cars on my previous Catalina 320. I'm racer term illiterate so I didn't know what a "short sheet" was but your picture is similar to what I do for down wind work only I bring it a couple feet back and up to the pilothouse deck level to really fill the genoa. Wish I had your toe rails for connecting anything anywhere
As for car adjustment and general sail trim when day sailing around the bay a nice 10 mile reach, run, whatever.... means 20 wind shifts because of the islands, the daily afternoon Swesterly, etc.... so some of us "cruisers" DO adjust our sails constantly. Learn to sail on Narragansett Bay and you'll learn to trim like a racer or just sit there....
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI