Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009

Petar is on a distinguished road
Sliding Genoa/Jib track block

Hi,
I've read somewhere that these sliding genoa/jib sliding track blocks need to be fitted so that locking pin is forward of the block rather than aft of it as it might slide backward very heavily and hurt you if you are adjusting them while under strain? I've checked several boats in my marina today and majority are fitted with the locking pin aft and only few forward of the sliding arrangement. What is the right way to fit these sliding track blocks?

regards/Petar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure what you mean by the "locking pin", but the pressure of the sail transmitted through the sheet to the block will force the block aft. I don't have a "locking pin". I control the position of the block with a line that pulls the block forward and if cleated off keeps it in position. When I slack the line the block moves aft.
Old 03-22-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I don't think there's a "right" way... I set mine forward of the block. I've had the flogging sheet (flattish lead aft ) trip the pin and release the car to move in the past when I've set it up with the pin aft.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-23-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I also don't think the pin position matters. It's my experience that the genoa blocks wont' move once under load, whether you want to adjust them forward or aft. You need to remove the load by luffing the sail before you can move the block, or move the windward block and tack to do the second.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-24-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
It is better if they are forward. You will have more space to move them with your hand and normally they will not move forward by themselves which might damage your hand.
Old 03-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, it doesn't really matter as you shouldn't be adjusting the pins when the car is under a load, unless you have a line-controlled jib-fairlead car setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Second that - they can move FAST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
IMHO, it doesn't really matter as you shouldn't be adjusting the pins when the car is under a load, unless you have a line-controlled jib-fairlead car setup.
This, of course, depends on rigging details. Once I watched a car and block shoot past a friend's ear at 60 mph because the pin did not fully engage the hole. We had not adjusted the jib in 10 minutes or more - wave action was the trigger. Yes, there was a stop at the end of the track, but the car blew through that.

The critical factor seems to have been a single seed, pooped by a bird, into the pin hole in the track. Thus the crew, new to the boat, did not realize the pin was not fully seated.

We very seldom adjusted the track in question; there was a barberhauler set-up to manage most under-way adjustments, since the lead is moved in-out more than fore-aft, and if there is a fore-aft change to be made, it waits until the load is off.

It's always something.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-24-2009

Skipper995 is on a distinguished road
Don't like 'em

Frankly locking pin type genoa cars are just plain wrong. If your not adjusting the car your never going to get the sail trim right. Line adjustable cars don't have pins. They are towed to the correct position and adjusted for varying wind conditions and points of sail.
I am always aware of the cars need for adjustment and tweaking them makes a huge difference in sailing performance.
Old 03-24-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper995 View Post
Frankly locking pin type genoa cars are just plain wrong. ...
I am always aware of the cars need for adjustment and tweaking them makes a huge difference in sailing performance.
It only takes a few minutes one-time to mark the genoa tracks for the proper car location for each jib: 150%, 125% or 85% on my boat. Once the track is marked, you only need to move the cars each time you change the sail that is on the furler. So my cars get moved a couple of times a month.

Adjustable cars are nice-to-have when you feel that you can afford to have it all...
Old 03-24-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
It only takes a few minutes one-time to mark the genoa tracks for the proper car location for each jib: 150%, 125% or 85% on my boat. Once the track is marked, you only need to move the cars each time you change the sail that is on the furler. So my cars get moved a couple of times a month.

Adjustable cars are nice-to-have when you feel that you can afford to have it all...
problem is that there is no such thing as one "proper location" - esp if you're a racer

Last edited by ste27; 03-25-2009 at 04:51 PM.