Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Seamanship competition

So, you know how there's lumberjack competitions? Why not seamanship competitions? Does anybody know if this sort of thing exists? If not, here are my suggestions for events (feel free to add):

- eye-splice in double braid (for time and strength)
- climbing up the stick (no mast steps, no pre-rigged tackle) and completing some task at the top (e.g. bulb replacement, broken halyard)
- MOB pickup
- hank-on sail changes (most in 60 seconds)
- rig/set/jibe/douse/repack symmetrical spinnaker (judges to check for proper packing)
- bottom-cleaning (breath-hold diving only)
- righting a capsized dinghy

All single-handed, of course.
Old 04-03-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but some of those things really don't demonstrate good seamanship IMHO. A good seaman would have the proper headsail hanked on before he needs it, and wouldn't be doing repeated rapid headsail changes for one.

Proper seamanship is a lot more than the physical skills you're testing in your post. It is also small things like walking the deck and looking at the rigging while underway, replacing a sail chafe patch before it the sail is damaged, restitching the main sail before a seam tears out, etc.

It is also doing things like making a list of the alternate ports you might have to use on the current leg of your voyage and having the courses and distances run to enter them safely along with the lights, waypoints and hazards to navigation already marked down.

It is making up thermoses of hot coffee and hot soup or stew before a stormy night watch. It is reefing the sails at sunset just in case of an evening storm hitting.

There's so much more to seamanship than physical skills... a lot more of it is mental attitude IMHO, and that's harder to have a competition for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2009

Sure sure. That's all great, especially hot stew. However I suspect that there's more to being a good lumberjack than the ability to balance on a floating log, and yet lumberjack contests are still awesome. I'm looking for a similar brand of awesome, but more nautical in nature.
Old 04-03-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Maybe it should go by number of posts! I just couldn't help it, sorry really just a joke, with laughing, HAHAHA, you know, not serious. Hey how about a category of varnishing teak! We can hold the finishing round in my boat if you like. The first rounds could be in a big BENE! How bout an empty and clean of a 5 year mystery holding tank, followed by lessons in CPR? Again I have the venue!

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 04-03-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
I think it's called the Vendée Globe....
Old 04-03-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Winners of seamanship contests appear at the bar and have drinks bought for them. Losers appear in the newspaper, under "MISSING, PRESUMED DROWNED".
Old 04-03-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Sailing a slalom course with out the use of a rudder.

Never Forgotten

Old 04-03-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... harsh, but very accurate..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Winners of seamanship contests appear at the bar and have drinks bought for them. Losers appear in the newspaper, under "MISSING, PRESUMED DROWNED".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
Maybe it should go by number of posts! I just couldn't help it, sorry really just a joke, with laughing, HAHAHA, you know, not serious. Hey how about a category of varnishing teak! We can hold the finishing round in my boat if you like. The first rounds could be in a big BENE! How bout an empty and clean of a 5 year mystery holding tank, followed by lessons in CPR? Again I have the venue!
I can see how corruption in the organizing committee is going to be a major stumbling block in this project.

Anyway I was considering a "clearing the plumbing after somebody put TP in it and then overpressurized the line" event. The difficulty here is camera placement so that the audience can see what's going on, though the possibility of catastrophic failure is sure to draw a crowd.

Capnblu has the right idea. And the rest of you are still not thinking ESPN enough. We need an arena with five or six competitors each racing against the clock (clock depicted on the screen, along with competitor mini-biographies and smiling portraits) while being cheered on by adoring fans. Following each round, interviews with competitors with towels around their necks, trying to catch their breath and still give out a few boilerplate comments for the benefit of those of us watching from home.
Old 04-03-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I would like to volunteer also to assist any way I can, by drinking rum!

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!