Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
Splicing anchor rode

If I have 100' of achor rode, 3 strand nylon, and I need 200', can I splice or eye and shackle two lengths together safely and reliably?
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2009

SVImpunity is on a distinguished road
I believe that a good long splice should be ok Mike. There is a formula I believe that will tell you what splice length is appropriate for a given size & breaking strain of 3 strand. However, there is nothing more reassuring than the thought of no joins anywhere. Having said that, rode is very often spliced to the anchor chain as shackles wont go around the windlass unless you hand feed until the chain can be draped over the dogs.
Old 04-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While a good splice will give you much of the strength of an unspliced line, say 80-90%, it would be a weak point. IMHO, you're much better off having the rode the length you need...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-09-2009

ANCORALATINA is on a distinguished road
one way or the other??

one way or the other??

BlueMoment - Articles

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files..._RopeChain.pdf

Joăo
Old 04-09-2009

for emergency use only

I mean to have at least one anchor on hand as and emergency stop in case I lose wind and motor and tide/current wants to take me where I don't want to go. By the time I want to anchor out for the night I can have new, full-length rode. I'm just trying to spread out my costs as I've just spent most of my savings on our new old boat and we're fitting her out.
Old 04-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Skimping on ground tackle, especially emergency ground tackle strikes me as somewhat penny-wise and pound foolish in the extreme. If there is any line on a boat that I'd want to know was in excellent shape and of unquestioned quality, it'd be my emergency anchor line.

By definition, if you're using the emergency anchor, you're probably going to be putting some considerable strain on it. Whether it is because you need to stop the boat to deal with a fouled prop, a genoa that won't furl or sudden storm that has popped up, you don't want to have to worry about how long the line will last and whether it is up to the strain.

You can get 30' of 5/16" G4 high-test chain and 220' of 5/8" nylon octo-plait pre-spliced rode for $310. Add a load-rated anchor shackle to it for another $10 or so... and your choice of anchor.

BTW, I am a big believer in the next gen anchors, and think they are a considerable improvement over the older designs, like the CQR, Bruce and Danforth. Get a Manson Supreme or Rocna as they are worth the extra money IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
I mean to have at least one anchor on hand as and emergency stop in case I lose wind and motor and tide/current wants to take me where I don't want to go. By the time I want to anchor out for the night I can have new, full-length rode. I'm just trying to spread out my costs as I've just spent most of my savings on our new old boat and we're fitting her out.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-09-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Let's not forget our Anchorlatina friend here, Dog...at least until the impartial tests are completed...
Old 04-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Skimping on ground tackle, especially emergency ground tackle strikes me as somewhat penny-wise and pound foolish in the extreme. If there is any line on a boat that I'd want to know was in excellent shape and of unquestioned quality, it'd be my emergency anchor line.

By definition, if you're using the emergency anchor, you're probably going to be putting some considerable strain on it. Whether it is because you need to stop the boat to deal with a fouled prop, a genoa that won't furl or sudden storm that has popped up, you don't want to have to worry about how long the line will last and whether it is up to the strain.

You can get 30' of 5/16" G4 high-test chain and 220' of 5/8" nylon octo-plait pre-spliced rode for $310. Add a load-rated anchor shackle to it for another $10 or so... and your choice of anchor.

BTW, I am a big believer in the next gen anchors, and think they are a considerable improvement over the older designs, like the CQR, Bruce and Danforth. Get a Manson Supreme or Rocna as they are worth the extra money IMHO.
Ok. I hear you. In that vein, then, do I go with the conventional 3 strand twisted nylon, which looked like the low cost option, or is there a better cord for anchor rode that might cost me a little more?
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

The Octo-plait or eight strand braided is a good line with a lot of beneficial characteristics for an anchor rode, and usually not significantly more money than the three-strand laid line. It doesn't have a tendency to hockle as does the three-strand, and it flakes far more compactly, which means you can store the rode in a smaller space. Windlasses handle it well, and many windlass manufacturers recommend it for their rope/chain gypsies, and it can take a good chain-to-rope splice so it feeds through the gypsy well.

As I said previously, you can get pre-spliced rodes at a reasonable price with G4-high-test chain pre-made. You do have to inspect the splice for wear regularly, but other than that and rinsing it with fresh water, they don't require much maintenance.

A good woven chafe protector is a necessity. The reason I like the woven chafe protectors is that they help prevent the second major reason for anchor line failure—heat buildup due to internal friction—which the plastic/rubber hose chafe protectors can cause. The woven ones let water through to cool and lubricate the anchor rode, helping prevent heat buildup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
Ok. I hear you. In that vein, then, do I go with the conventional 3 strand twisted nylon, which looked like the low cost option, or is there a better cord for anchor rode that might cost me a little more?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-10-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Rope chain splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANCORALATINA View Post

An eye splice over a thimble gives a good way of connecting a 3 strand line to a chain, however there is the problem of passing that thimble thru the windlass and into the deck pipe. So...the referenced websites gives other methods for the splice with a statement that an splice thur the last length of the chain (making a U turn ) will reduce the strength of the line by 50%. I don't see how this splice is much different than an eye splice over a thimble with the line making a U turn around the thimble rather than thru the chain length. My thoughts are that the chafe of the line around the chain is the most probable failure mode and that with a sufficent number of tucks into the splice that the line strength is not reduced by the 50 % as stated. The 2 methods referrenced seem to me would be more likely to chafe vs. a U turn around the last chain length and subsequent eye splice.