Oil dripping over the side ? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 04-30-2009

For the scientific explanation see:

The calming effect of oil on water

American Journal of Physics -- May 2007 -- Volume 75, Issue 5, pp. 407-414

Issue Date: May 2007

Abstract:
The calming effect of oil on water has been known since ancient times. Benjamin Franklin was the first to investigate the effect, but the underlying mechanism for this striking phenomenon remains elusive. We used a miniature laser interferometer to measure the amplitude of surface waves to a resolution of ±5 nm, making it possible to determine the effect of an oil monolayer on the attenuation of capillary waves and the surface dilational modulus of the monolayer. We present attenuation data on pure water, water covered by olive oil, water covered by a fatty acid, and a water-acetone mixture for comparison. From the attenuation data at frequencies between 251 and 551 Hz, we conclude that the calming effect of oil on surface waves is principally due to the dissipation of wave energy caused by the Gibbs surface elasticity of the monolayer, with only a secondary contribution from the reduction in surface tension. Our data also indicate that the surface-dilational viscosity of the oil monolayer is negligible and plays an insignificant role in calming the waves.

---------

Those ol' salts of yester-year weren't so dumb afterall.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 04-30-2009

The older narratives frequently discuss "bags" of oil, which argues for a thick or rubber-lined sack from which oil would drip fairly slowly. We've all seen how even a teaspoon of spilled diesel can cover a bedroom-sized surface of a calm harbour, but how this would work in a foaming sea is beyond my experience.

The forereaching boats hove-to in the older stories (pre-1970!) actually describe their hulls as leaving a "slick", so the connection between a upwind zone of relative calm and the quasi-Biblical injunction to pour oil over troubled waters seems to have a long pedigree.

Can't sleep? Read my countdown to voyaging blog @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-30-2009

Thanks for the tip. I might try it.

Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
post #14 of 14 Old 05-01-2009
Swab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The boat drifts when hove-to... the oil slick remains behind... and forms a protective slick upwind of the boat, as it drifts downwind... It works better on old shoes than newer, more modern designs, as they tend to forereach more than the older designs.
As usual SD - right on the money. I have never spread oil on the water because I doubt its effectiveness and don't carry any oil or means of spreading it (Although we could probably rig something up to spread what little cooking oil we do have) but I can attest that the Pardeys are correct about the effect of a boat drifting downwind while hove to and it is obvious to me that hanging an oil bag over the windward side would, indeed, spread a slick up wind.

Latest videos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.