Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So... as a summary, your friend is willing to risk drowning and asphyxiation in order to be able to wear his PFD under his foulies... Really bright...

Unless his jacket was made by OMAR the TENTMAKER, and is exceptionally oversized, wearing a PFD under it is a good recipe for disaster... Have you ever tried to remove a foulweather jacket, while in the water...never mind while it had a fully inflated PFD inside it choking you?? Removing the jacket is very likely not a possibility for him once the PFD inflates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
And we wonder why they put such warnings like "Don't use a blow dryer in the bath tub" on such items. Simply amazing.
Old 05-15-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Somewhere in the fog banks of my memory is a story about the same situation. Possibly it was Lat38, but here it is.

Man goes up on the bow in snotty weather. Second person sees man on the bow struggling with himself, gasping, and clawing. Second man cannot figure out the problem, and then suddenly the man on the bow pulls a knife out, and starts stabbing himself in the chest to the complete horror of the man in the cockpit.

It had to be hilarious once it was all over, but terrifying at the moment......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 05-16-2009

OsmundL is on a distinguished road
It could work if the inflatable if filled with helium. You'd need a shotgun to bring him down again. This works best when you stand behind the gun.
Old 05-16-2009

mdidriksen is on a distinguished road
I recall hearing a story like this as well. I believe it was from the Sydney-Hobart race a couple of years ago. My recollection was that the boat got pooped or rolled, and then some guy who was below came up on deck and thought one of his crew mates was committing seppuku. I can't remember if the life jacket was under his harness or under his foulies.
Old 05-16-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdidriksen View Post
I recall hearing a story like this as well. I believe it was from the Sydney-Hobart race a couple of years ago. My recollection was that the boat got pooped or rolled, and then some guy who was below came up on deck and thought one of his crew mates was committing seppuku. I can't remember if the life jacket was under his harness or under his foulies.
The fog may be clearing that sounds pretty close!.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 05-16-2009

Yado is on a distinguished road
Fatal Storm"...Paddy Broughton was wearing a hydrostatic..."

Hah,
i just finished reading "Fatal Storm" just a few hours ago! It's about the Sydney-Hobart race in 1998.
Page 232, "Our mastman, Paddy Broughton, was wearing a hydrostatic life jacket..Paddy thought the best thing to keep water away from the automatic inflation device was to put it under his...wet weather jacket and harness...." The bow went under with Paddy on the foredeck.
The short of it is people watched as Paddy pounded his chest in "apparent pain", "he pulled a knife and started stabbing himself in the chest, or at least it appeared that way to us."
"His safety harness wouldn't let the jacket expand, so his chest was being crushed".
Great book to read along with "Fastnet, Force 10".
Old 05-17-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yado View Post
Hah,
i just finished reading "Fatal Storm" just a few hours ago! It's about the Sydney-Hobart race in 1998.
Page 232, "Our mastman, Paddy Broughton, was wearing a hydrostatic life jacket..Paddy thought the best thing to keep water away from the automatic inflation device was to put it under his...wet weather jacket and harness...." The bow went under with Paddy on the foredeck.
The short of it is people watched as Paddy pounded his chest in "apparent pain", "he pulled a knife and started stabbing himself in the chest, or at least it appeared that way to us."
"His safety harness wouldn't let the jacket expand, so his chest was being crushed".
Great book to read along with "Fastnet, Force 10".
I'm forwarding this to the problem child.
Old 05-17-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Thank you gentlemen. I figured that unique ways to damage ones self are probably rare so someone would have a historical example.
Old 05-18-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
So what do you think would happen?
I'd say the species would be improved.