Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
So... as a summary, your friend is willing to risk drowning and asphyxiation in order to be able to wear his PFD under his foulies... Really bright...

Unless his jacket was made by OMAR the TENTMAKER, and is exceptionally oversized, wearing a PFD under it is a good recipe for disaster... Have you ever tried to remove a foulweather jacket, while in the water...never mind while it had a fully inflated PFD inside it choking you?? Removing the jacket is very likely not a possibility for him once the PFD inflates.
If the foulies are over sized -which they should be. Having a PFD under when inflated will actually gardner greater success due to buoyancy. You are making a statement that you yourself have never experienced. There is a reason why in the navy - if you fall over - you pull off your dungarees. Its to trap the air to make it a floatation device. The worst that comes from a PFD inflated over a restricted jacket is pro-longed buoyancy.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Unless you are tethered ... How you you release a tether if you are in a capsized cockpit or a sinking vessel?

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-18-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
If the foulies are over sized -which they should be. Having a PFD under when inflated will actually gardner greater success due to buoyancy. You are making a statement that you yourself have never experienced. There is a reason why in the navy - if you fall over - you pull off your dungarees. Its to trap the air to make it a floatation device. The worst that comes from a PFD inflated over a restricted jacket is pro-longed buoyancy.
Greater buoyancy, Maybe if your foul weather jacket has air tight zippers, Velcro, and a air tight seal around your neck. I never seen foulies like that, Please let me know who makes air tight foulies.

Never Forgotten

Old 05-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're also making the two basically faulty assumptions:

First, that the PFD will go off at all. If the foulies are well enough sealed to trap air as you suggest, they may keep enough water out to prevent the PFD from triggering. It certainly can't be manually triggered, since that is not an option if the PFD is inside the foul weather gear—the manual release is not reachable.

Second, you're assuming that the PFD isn't going to be asphixiating him by compressing his chest and making breathing difficult. Also, the collar part of the PFD inflating could cause the collar of his PFD to strangle him if the foulies are zipped all the way up.

BTW, IMHO, if the FWG isn't zipped all the way up, then it adds NO BUOYANCY...

Third, in most situations they'd be wearing foul weather gear and a PFD, would they not also be wearing a harness? The harness obviously has to go outside of the foul weather gear so they can clip in... That would be yet another thing constricting their breathing as the PFD inflates.

Taking off your dungarees is one thing... since your pants aren't likely to strangle you... and filling them with are is SOP, even in the water safety lessons I've taken as a Boy Scout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
BTW, we're talking about a PFD inflated INSIDE a jacket, not over...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-18-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I was being sarcastic in my earlier response about foulies being air tight. I been in the water with foulies on. They do not trap air. They add no buoyancy what so ever! Any air trapped in the foulies will find its way out once you hit the water, as in big bubbles coming up from the top of your bids and from your collar.

This all brings up what to look for in foulies. When I bought the ones I use now, I bought very good offshore foulies. Not what you find at west marine. The have a built in harness and have zip in float vest. Much heaver material than you find in the off the rack foulies. The float vest is much like an insulated jacket liner (think Army field jacket liner) and it adds both warmth and flotation.

Never Forgotten

Old 05-20-2009

JungleJim is on a distinguished road
What is the make of that offshore gear?
Old 05-20-2009

ProRainer, I bought them from Sailnet at the Atlantic City sailboat show a few years ago when Sailnet was still doing boat shows. I like the idea of having additional flotation in my foulies. I do wear a inflatable vest which I believe had 38 pounds of buoyancy. I have always had the feeling that if I go over the side with long underwear, heavy pants and shirt, sea boats and foulies on, the extra flotation is not a bad thing. I am 215 pounds to start with and add the foulies and everything underneath soaked with water, I don't want to rely just on the 38 pounds of buoyancy.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 05-20-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Supposing for a moment that one can acquire airtight foulies that will provide extra buoyancy.... you can still wear your PFD on the outside!
Old 05-22-2009

I just came back from my boat. I had my inflatable vest on today as I was out alone. I noticed that, I have rigged my vest with a firefly automatic personal strobe. I thought how that would work at night under foul weather gear?

Never Forgotten

Old 05-22-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I just came back from my boat. I had my inflatable vest on today as I was out alone. I noticed that, I have rigged my vest with a firefly automatic personal strobe. I thought how that would work at night under foul weather gear?

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)