Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2002

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Is Radar an absolute necessity?

Nope. I''m the “Pirate of Cape Ann” everywhere I go. It''s the only moniker I use. My wife is "Pirate''s Maiden", and boy, don''t she hate boats! ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2002

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

In an article several years ago - maybe even like 10 - in Cruising World or Sail there was an account of a couple in their 35 some foot sailboat, under sail, in a channel in heavy fog. They were involved in a collision. They had radar, but it was not on because of battery drain. There were cited as being partially at fault because they were not using their radar,
Old 11-21-2002

jklewissf is on a distinguished road

Radar is not an absolute necessity but can add a lot of safety and make the difference between being snug in an anchorage or waiting until daybreak to enter an unlighted harbor.

I live and sail in San Francisco and have not really felt the need for radar in the legendary fog on the bay. When I was in Mexico a few years ago radar went a long way to make up for the lack of functioning navigation aids (lights).

My use of radar is so intermitant that I dont see it as being a big threat to the amp hour budget.

As to choosing between being in the cockpit or looking at your radar display, why not do both? Put a waterproof LCD display in the cockpit.

I enjoy reading the Pardees books but have not removed my engine or thrown my batteries overboard yet. Actually I have found that the electronics on my boat rarely disappoint me and add a lot of convenience and safety to my sailing adventures.
Old 11-21-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Aucassin:

Sometimes we get all pumped up about our particular knowledge of a subject and fail to either respond to the post or acknowledge how the real world works.

First, the Pardeys - wonderful folks with an astounding set of accomplishments, both sailing and commercial - view electronics as tho'' they are still being built of transistors in the early 1980''s. Radars today are not only highly reliable but flexibly programmable. There''s no reason amp draw should categorically remove radar from use on a boat capable of offshore or alongshore cruising; just set your zone and scan timing to suit your needs.

Once a collision occurs, along with a loss for which you are seeking coverage while hoping to avoid blame, all facts associated with the collision will be considered. There''s no giant maritime rule book that says you will or will not be covered, fined or sued should you be equipped with radar but not use it. OTOH the issue will be in part whether each party conducted themselves in a prudent, seamanlike manner. Since half of each day is dark, sailboat crews at sea are often short-handed, and there''s often less than unlimited visibility, it''s pretty easy to imagine how lack of a radar''s use could be seen as contributory to the loss. And yes, the ROR''s have been used as the legal basis for radar non-use to be considered contributory.

Radar is a big help to offshore, short-handed crews. It''s no panacea but is close to adding a crew member, assuming it''s properly tuned and programmed for the conditions. One of the things we found most helpful about using it - even in the clear Caribbean - is that it allowed us to anticipate close crossing situations well before visual sightings made this possible (even in clear daylight), after which a patient, professional call on VHF resulted in the ship changing course to suit the sailboat many times. When running down wind with all sails vanged and on the vane, this is a big labor savings...and it''s usually fun to talk to the other ship''s crew, too. Using radar effectively is a bit like playing a musical instrument; you get the most value from it when you apply some effort to its use - as opposed to a knotmeter or, oftentimes, a GPS readout. I think that''s why some folks undersell radar; they turn it on and then occasional stare at it, expecting it to ''do something'', I guess.

Radar has no downsides that I can see except the financial one. Whether it justifies the expense is a function of multiple factors: the cruising grounds, size of crew, how long it will be earning its keep, what effort the crew makes to use it effectively, and what one must not buy because of installing radar among them.

For Sailnet fans, you might want to look at Liza''s article on this topic: http://www.sailnet.com/collections/articles/index.cfm?articleid=copela0018

Jack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.