SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

reefing main when sailing downwind

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  johnshasteen 
#1 ·
Hi

Just curious what procedure people use to reef their main (assuming slab, jiffy or single line reefing) when heading downwind.

do you heave-to, motor, come to a reach under the trimmed headsail and release the mainsheet? i find with strong track/Battcar systems and single line reefing one can easily just ease off the halyard and tension the reefing line simultaneously and it works great, but i'm not sure how safe it is and in some ways i prefer the other methods.

interested in your experiences.

#2 ·
Without the BattCar system there's simply too much friction to have much luck reefing the main without heading up to at least a beam reach. Today's prevalence of swept spreaders adds to the difficulty.

We typically round up to a close reach and put in a tuck before bearing off again.

#7 ·
Paloma has slab reefing, so we turn into the wind and the headsail drops nicely into place and stays put while we put the grommet into the kringle and tie it to the boom.

#8 ·
you have a slab-reefing headsail with a boom???? :confused::confused:

#10 ·
Yeah, I know...just busting his chops a little. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.