Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
I do want to learn...I am learning more and more each time I go out. The ideas you and others have posted all go into the "knowledge bag" to be used if/when needed. I appreciate the knoweldge I'm able to gain here from other peoples experiences.

My remark about the 41' was somewhat in jest. Frankly, I don't have the time to start with a Sunfish or Laser and work my way up. While learning on a larger boat my be somewhat more difficult it's far from impossible. As a single-engine Cessna pilot I stepped up and was quickly checked out to fly a 4-engine WWII bomber (B-24 for those that know). I'm not afraid of a challenge.

Respectfully
Let's not be ridiculous. It's a big jump from a "Laser" to a 36' sailboat! Obviously, the matter a hand (maneuvering under power) doesn't even apply to Lasers. Your aircraft analogy is an interesting one though. Every pilot is "checked out", yet all it takes to become a sailboat Capitan is a payment! Sure...you can learn on a 36' boat. I just read an article about a couple that bought a brand new 50' cat as a starter boat, picked it up in France and went cruising. So far, they've had a great experience (despite some real bone headed moves IMO resulting from their lack of experience)! And then of course, there is the story of Tanya Albie (sp?) and many others. Isn't there a saying, "God watches over fools and children"? But then....sometimes he doesn't, your neighbors swim platform being a minor example. Anyway, I'm going far afield here, and am going to disconnect from the thread. All the best!

Last edited by L124C; 07-11-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
You can call on neighbors with dinghies and use the dinks as tugs to assist your movement into clear water. Ships do this all the time. Just consider you 36 footer as a small ship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 07-12-2009

gumbeau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
A fellow a few slips over is docked port side to/bow in as I am. He single-hands his cutter frequently. I noticed he was about to leave so the wife and I watched to gain from his experience. He was able to back out and get the stern a bit to the right. Once as far back as he could go he shifted to forward and applied a considerable amount of power. I'm guessing his cutter is a full keel boat as it just didn't turn very well even with the good amount of speed he had. He missed the bow platform on the first powerboat but got the teak platform of the next boat tearing it away. We've scratched his method off the list.

What we did was ask the owner of the powerboat next to us to walk the bow out (he was motivated to assist since it was his boat in jeopardy. Worked well.

Thanks
As soon as my post count is high enough I'll send you a PM.

I know you from somewhere
Old 07-12-2009
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeau View Post
As soon as my post count is high enough I'll send you a PM.

I know you from somewhere

Ah geez, I thought I'd covered my tracks!!

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312