Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
We teach a technique for single line docking.

There is a point about 1/4 of the distance from the transom to the bow at which, if you attach a line and then tie to the dock opposite the transom, then put the boat in forward, the boat will suck into the dock. FIND THIS POINT BEFORE LEAVING THE DOCK.

When it is in the right position, you should be able to adjust the attitude of the boat. Turn the wheel away from the dock, the bow should move away from the dock and the stern comes in. Turn the wheel toward the dock the bow will turn in and the stern out.

If you boat has a metal toe rail with scuppers, attach a shackle to the point. If not find another strong point. The primary winch is a good place to start. On the dock tie a line with a hook, which when taut will be opposite the transom when the hook is attached to the shackle.

Before coming into the dock attach your bow and stern breast lines and drape them over your lifelines. Attach a centre line to the midship cleat, if you have one, or to the shrouds.

When you come into the dock and get the boat stopped, put the boat in neutral and smartly step off the the boat and attach the dock line prepared previously to the shackle. Get back on and put the transmission in forward. After the boat has aligned itself to the dock, LEAVE THE TRANSMISSION IN FORWARD. Step off and tie your breast lines and use the centre line tie as a forward spring. The single line dock line can serve as an aft spring. Or you could attach another.

If the cross wind is too strong just get the centre line attached the dock first.

I have also seen a line with a large that can catch a cleat or dock ring.

I have done this in a cross wind and it does work.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Could you maybe get your boat moved to a slip that doesn't have a covered section right next to it?
Old 08-13-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Does one really want to get off the boat (31 ft, not day sailor) before a single line is tied to the dock? In a situation where you now have a 15 kt. cross wind?

As long as I'm on the boat, I have a chance to attempt a recovery of some type if things go wrong...ie. the cross wind is more than I can hold, line slips out of my hands, line hangs on something momentarily, I fumble the connection, I slip stepping off the boat, and other unplanned things that Murphy presents, etc. ..... If I'm off the boat, who is in charge now?
Old 08-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Does one really want to get off the boat (31 ft, not day sailor) before a single line is tied to the dock? In a situation where you now have a 15 kt. cross wind?

As long as I'm on the boat, I have a chance to attempt a recovery of some type if things go wrong...ie. the cross wind is more than I can hold, line slips out of my hands, line hangs on something momentarily, I fumble the connection, I slip stepping off the boat, and other unplanned things that Murphy presents, etc. ..... If I'm off the boat, who is in charge now?
One build an upright stand to hold a previously installed line (perhaps with a messenger that could snagged with a boat hook on the way in. There are commercial products of a similar design.
Old 08-13-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Depending on how well your boat steers in reverse, it may be easier to back in so that you can keep clawing to windward with the rudder while the bow is trying to pay off.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-13-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
One build an upright stand to hold a previously installed line (perhaps with a messenger that could snagged with a boat hook on the way in. There are commercial products of a similar design.
This appears to be much improved over the original suggestion, and quicker too
Old 08-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
This appears to be much improved over the original suggestion, and quicker too
One of the joys of a forum such as this is that it can get your creative juices going. I was thinking where the stand would be mounted; perhaps opposite the transom. You would not want it interfering with access on and off the boat.
Old 08-13-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
This may sound silly to yall "man vs wind" types... but if your at a marina, and you pay for the slip.. isn't is ok to just call the right person there and ask for help if the wind is kicking up? or is that against the "no Man ever asks for help code?" ( giggles) Or perhaps.. just go to the main docking area and wait for the winds become more "user friendly"?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2009

cthomas is on a distinguished road
i know an old man that has a setup like ncc320 says. he powers in and lets the boat hit the "net" then grabs the lines off the dock. first time in with him i asked what i could do to help. he said sit and relax. he ran in at two to three knots and the "v" held his boat. scared the fire out of me.
Old 08-13-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Permanetly attach a dock line to the rail using a rolling hitch, located to serve as an after bow spring.

When you depart, hang this line so it is accessible.

Returning to the slip, have crew at the bow obtain this line as the bow passes by, and immediately secure it to the bow cleat. Leave the engine in forward with hard left rudder and the boat will lay against the dock in any breeze, you can take your time with the other lines.