Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Rules?

I recently got a warning for having people outside of the lifelines / railing of a boat while in motion. The person was safely seated on the back of a bench seat near the transom. There feet were actually on the deck which extends well behind the rail. They had secure handholds all around them. Common sense says to me they were in no danger what so ever. Did I break any laws or was this cop off-base here?

I said very little and didn't ask any questions since I was getting a warning and not the $320 ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Guess this cop never saw a sailboat race
Old 08-20-2009

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Where do you sail?...here in Sarasota bay..they can only afford one or two watercops on the weekends...or thurs-Sunday....Longboat key has a boat or two in the water every day..and the Sarasota County Fire has one in the water every day but at the dock I think..not patrolling. You just dont see the water police here very much anymore...i'ts okay by me ..I try to sail where there is nobody much around anyway....but there are alot of situations that can happen and lots of weekend boaters tying one on all the day at the sand bars....then they motor home...
Old 08-20-2009

tap is on a distinguished road
If you have one lifeline, the racing rules allow you to put your legs under it and outside the boat but your upper body must be inside. If you have two lifelines made of wire, then you can put your torso under the upper lifeline. If there's something you need to do, like free a line, you can be anywhere you need to when you do. Hanging from your ankles off the side of a boat on it's ear to cut a line wrapped on the keel would be ok.

But that's when racing. When not racing I haven't heard of any rules about where you can be, other than "teak surfing", which is being dragged behind a boat while hanging on to the swim platform. Not sure if that one even applies to sail boats not under power, since it's the prop and the exhaust that cause the danger. But local town councils LOVE to make up laws. Maybe someone, probably a child, got hurt on or near a boat. So now the politicos have to make some law so they can act like they're doing something. Think of the children! You must pass my law! The law itself is nearly irrelevant. Just pick some minority, like boaters, and create some regulation that will only bother that minority. So you get some local law that no one may be past the railing or lifeline in any way.
Old 08-20-2009

redcobra is on a distinguished road
What?
Never heard of any such law in MD. What kind of police was it? Were you in the Annapolis Harbor area? Or in the Bay.
Old 08-20-2009

RichH will become famous soon enough
Let me guess .... you got stopped by the 'raging Annapolis water nazis'.

Annapolis and the far surrounding area has become a nasty place for these **legal thugs** to prey upon any boat at any time and for very obviously absolutely nothing more than to make a 'pinch'. Im sure that you had to show the 'officer' that you had 'whistles firmly attached to your pfd', and other inane and little known statutes of the Maryland boating laws, etc.

Unless the Chesapeake boating community vehemently responds to this obvious and escalating 'aggressive revenue income opportunity', scream bloody murder by writing formal protestations, etc. etc. .... we all will continue to become 'a prey species'. I especially avoid Annapolis harbor and have written to many of the businesses there that I **used to** patronize stating that I will not return until they 'control the overt legal thuggery that is occurring there' by the MD STATE marine police.
:-)

Last edited by RichH; 08-20-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Don't know what to say. Live and learn I guess.
I have never heard of anyone getting written up for such in our area.
I would not think it would be a violation or maybe its just not enforced around here.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-20-2009

redcobra is on a distinguished road
Anyone know what the law actually says? I am not sure where to look it up.
Old 08-21-2009

bheintz is on a distinguished road
From STATE OF MARYLAND State-Specific Boating Safety Requirements
SL 12. Reckless and Careless Operation
Negligence or gross negligence in operation of a vessel resulting in the endangerment of lives
and/or property is prohibited. A civil penalty may be imposed by the USCG for this offense.
Violators may be subject to a fine of up to $5,000 and or imprisonment for up to one year, or
both. In the State of Maryland, the penalty is a fine of up to $500 for the first offense.
Examples of actions that may constitute negligent or grossly negligent operation include, but
are not limited to:
1. Operating in an area designated for swimming only.
2. Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
3. Operating the vessel at excessive speed near other boats or in dangerous waters.
4. Dangerous water skiing practices.
5. Bowriding or riding on seatbacks, the gunwale or transom.
I think this law was passed in the 70's after a boating accident.
Old 08-21-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Those rules make sense to me, except number 5. I was clearly in violation of this poorly written rule. Think of all of the small sailboats out the designed so you sit on gunwale to sail it. The seat backs of the cockpit in my sailboat is a perfectly safe place to sit. This just leaves the door open for cops to enforce the rule whenever they feel like it and you never know if you are in violation or not. I can understand the bow riding part, but the transom bit makes no sense to me. If you fell in off the transom you would certainly get wet, but I can't imagine it could hurt anyone.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.