Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
All I've got is "Curious George". Talk about nasty adjectivities. Yellow hat? Please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I guess you are not as old as Oma, who was there!! (just a poor attempt at that humour thing!)

Old 10-05-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Discovery Channel had a show on last night about rogue waves. They plotted where incidents occurred and found that there's an area where the current is 10 knots (mph maybe?) going around a cape. The wind-against-waves effect produces big steep waves there. (And I'd bet that the reduced depth near the cape would affect these waves to pile-up.)

They didn't mention Osborne's theory about non-linear waves. (And of course, every surfer knows that every x minutes a "set" comes in, which has bigger waves than normal. It's what all those surfers in the water are waiting for. Maybe Osborne's theory will explain that.)

US27inKS -- thanks for posting that. That satellite output showing rogue waves is amazing. I'd like to see more of that data than the 1/2 second they show in the video.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 10-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-05-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
The more able a sailor you become, the luckier you seem to get!
To quote a great line...

" Luck favors the prepared."
Old 10-05-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Discovery Channel had a show on last night about rogue waves. They plotted where incidents occurred and found that there's an area where the current is 10 knots (mph maybe?) going around a cape. The wind-against-waves effect produces big steep waves there. (And I'd bet that the reduced depth near the cape would affect these waves to pile-up.)

They didn't mention Osborne's theory about non-linear waves. (And of course, every surfer knows that every x minutes a "set" comes in, which has bigger waves than normal. It's what all those surfers in the water are waiting for. Maybe Osborne's theory will explain that.)

US27inKS -- thanks for posting that. That satellite output showing rogue waves is amazing. I'd like to see more of that data than the 1/2 second they show in the video.

Regards,
Brad
Go to you-tube and look up freak waves and its a series of 1-5. There they get deeper in to quantum physics and Osborne's theory.