Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009

gershel is on a distinguished road
Problem with new Manson anchor

For the most part (since May 09) my new Manson 35 has been terrific, but a few weeks ago I had something competely unexpected happen.
I was in the anchorage at Chesapeake City, and felt that I was anchored securely. The next day had a high wind advisory forecast (50+ kt) so we decided to stay put. The next morning the wind got strong and we started to drag. I started the engine and went to re-anchor, but when I pulled it up I had a 5' log across the fluke, and a small danforth (loose) inside the roll bar. Because of the wind in the crowded anchorage, and not able to clear the debris off the anchor easily, I headed to an empty bulkhead to clear everything off.
This is the first time anything like this ever happened to me (35+ years). Is this a problem with the anchor, or just an unusual set of events, or ME?
Marc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
No one can truely know what happened under water - that is always the challenge.

However, if the anchor hit the log before it began to dig in, no anchor could set. It would feel set, because the log was settled in the mud a bit. Even backing down under power would feel good. But at some strain more than your engine could bring to bear, it would move.

Dumb luck. But it is one reason I often set 2 anchors (yes, there are some negatives there too) when I expect some violent wind... which is often in the summer. I once had EXACTLY the same experience you had with a small tire. However, I had set 2 anchors ~ 100 degrees apart, and the second did fine.

Don't blame the anchor. Do realize that Chesapeake City has lame holding ground.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
It's happened to me before. Stuck in a railroad tie and it was heavy!! I didn't have a windlass then. Nothing to do with the anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
Some anchors are more likely to hook something than others but the real cause is bad luck with where the anchor fell relative to stuff on the bottom. I have had all sorts of stuff come up on anchors with the most common being pot warp and old trawl cables. We even hooked an old mooring block once.

I would not blame this on the anchor as long as it is properly sized for the boat. If it is undersized, you may have dragged and hooked this other stuff while dragging but if it is properly sized, I suspect that it was never really set(there is no way to prove or disprove this really, it is just opinion). I happen to feel that the best all-around anchors on the market right now are the roll bar types.
Old 10-25-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I agree with PDQ...this is dumb luck unrelated to the anchor. You can be killed in a parked car if a piano falls on it, but is it a 'car accident"?

I suppose if you had a trip line, you might have been able to "spill" the anchor to clear it, but maybe not. You were just fortunate to have the skill and foresight to get to a place to sort things out.

Check the anchor itself for damage.
Old 10-27-2009

gershel is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone. I guess I can stop beating myself up now.
Marc
Old 10-28-2009

Fareast is on a distinguished road
Bad luck, not an issue with the Manson, IMHO
Old 10-28-2009
Jerr - Shipwright, rigger

MyBoatWorks is on a distinguished road
I pulled up 7 shopping carts, complete with waterlogged shopping bags filled with whatever the homeless fill them, strung on the same anchor rode, off the s. side of Mariina del Rey's breakwater. 37' racing sloop without bow a roller and the only reason we recovered the anchor was 14 guys hauling! That spot is where the "LA River" empties and a rather unpopular finish line for the race committee, being closely downwind of the pelican, cormorant and seagull-covered breakwater.
I'm a shipwright, rigger and professional sailor, in business as My Boat Works, in Los Angeles. I also make super quality, High-Definition instructional boating movies! I'm here to give my expertise to boaters, as I was helped. It's my pleasure to help you enjoy activities I love so. Cheers! - Jerr
Old 10-28-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
My first ever anchoring experience, I caught a crab trap and steel cable in Crescent Harbor, WA. Sadly the trap was empty otherwise it would have more than made up for the dragging.
Old 10-28-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Also pulled up an old railroad tie this summer. No windlass on my 30'er. Took about 10 minutes of lfting / dropping, to finally get it to drop off. It was too heavy to bring up within reach. The father-in-law just motored slowly in circles, while I did the lifting. He thought it was quite funny!