SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Moving control lines to the cockpit? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/60181-moving-control-lines-cockpit.html)

Garffin 11-29-2009 08:40 AM

Moving control lines to the cockpit?

Ok I have a small sailboat only 24. S/V Cloud. I plan on doing some work on her this coming spring. Maybe abit this winter! Although working and living on a small boat in the winter might not work out so good. I will see what happens. I have a question about running my control lines to the cockpit. Since I single-hand a lot I was thinking of doing this but I was wondering at what cost would I be paying by doing it. The idea of not having to leave the cockpit to hoist the halyards sounds like a winner but how much more effort would I be paying in terms of load on the line would it cost. Right now I have to go to the mast to raise my main and jib without it being too tough to pull up the halyards but in somewhat bad weather it can be a pain. So anyone that has done this or any input would be appreciative! Thanks Dan

WanderingStar 11-29-2009 10:36 AM

Dan, I owned a smaller sloop which had all lines led to the cockpit. There were turning blocks on the mast for the halyards, they belayed to cleats on the cabintop. It was very handy, I sailed her without an engine. There's no real downside unless you need a winch for your halyards, even that could be mounted on the cabin. Just be sure you use proper backing.

Faster 11-29-2009 11:25 AM

As Star says, this can be very advantageous to shorthanded sailing and you do need to be sure that any turning blocks, cleats and winches that you mount to do so are properly backed up below. There's no appreciable increase in load per se, but using cheap blocks or padeyes can increase friction.

One possible thing you need to worry about is the reefing. If you don't run all your reefing lines back as well, now you've got a two stage operation, half from the cockpit (halyard) and half at the boom/gooseneck (reefs).

There are various arrangements for double or even single line reefing led back, but they add to the cost in terms of parts (blocks, eyes, etc) and friction. If you have no intention, budget, or space to run ALL the lines back then you may in fact be better off the leave things at the mast where you'll have access to halyard and reef lines from one location.

Always a compromise, as usual.

Yorksailor 11-29-2009 11:50 AM

I had a Corsair F31 with 13 lines comming back to the cockpit through clutches to two self-tailing winches. Tack downhauls eliminated any trips to the mast for reefing. I could even launch the spinnaker from the cockpit. Well worth the effort.

T37Chef 11-29-2009 12:56 PM

Check out this thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ging-plan.html

T37Chef 11-29-2009 12:57 PM

WTH is going on, I cant post links at sailnet anymore without it going to the store?

Faster 11-29-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 546548)
WTH is going on, I cant post links at sailnet anymore without it going to the store?

Chef - anytime there's a word in the link that gets "tagged" to the store it messes up the hyperlink. You can go to "tinyurl.com" to convert it.

T37Chef 11-29-2009 01:24 PM

Thanks Fast

RXBOT 11-29-2009 03:53 PM

Garfinn

Not sure what head sail rig you have but if you have hank on think about a downhaul so you can lower gib-genoa without going on deck.Also rig,reef as for predicted conditions before setting out may help. Being conservative may be a little slower but much easier on you and the gear.

Garffin 11-29-2009 05:58 PM

When I do leave the cockpit to say raise the main or the jib I don't seem to have enough time to do it before the boat starts to take off. In winds from 20-15 it’s no big deal but anything above 20 it’s a pain and if there is any sort of sea above 3 feet it gets tricky. I have not been in any rough weather in this boat yet but as I plain on heading south next fall and south I mean the islands or exploring the Gulf States. I am sure to run into some weather. I think I am going to try and run everything to the cockpit during my refit this spring. I just hope that the friction is not so much where I have to use the winch all the time. I feel that this boat is more capable than a lot of boats her size it’s just a matter of beefing up the rigging and getting the lines all sorted out. I do have one small winch on the mast already. As far as my head sail all I have atm is one forestay with a hank. I try and have my sails already to go before I leave the dock so as to limit my time on the deck but anyway I have some thinking to do and more reading. I do appreciate the feedback and the good advice. Thanks Dan alos thanks t37 for the effort on getting me that link