Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
matt - thanks for the additional info. Do you think that the helicopter strap will have to be re-thought? I assume they trained with it previously?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Tempest: when tossing the ring, I think I would hold onto the line in case my throw was crappy, as was the one in the video. It landed pretty far from the MOB, and downwind at that. Presumably he could pull the ring back and toss again instead of just losing it. If he got it close to and downwind of the MOB, he could just drop the line.
Old 01-19-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
After watching this video at least a dozen times I searched and found some other vids of them sailing and getting things organized before the race. I'll only say this, I've never been offshore, and there is no way I'd go sailing in an ocean with that group. Did not get the warm fuzzy feeling at all.

This group looked like sailors going on a friendly cruise, not an ocean race.
Old 01-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, recovering an MOB differs a lot depending on what boat you're on. Once you've gotten the MOB along side the boat, you now have the problem of getting them back aboard. A boat with relatively low freeboard has far more options than a boat with high freeboard. Transom swim platforms can be useful, but if there is any kind of sea, the transom becomes a danger to anyone in the water...so it isn't always a good option.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-20-2010

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Tempest -
For the lifesling the idea is that you use the line to make a circle around the COB and then pull it in and the floatation collar will come to him and he can then be brought to the boat. So in case of a lifesling I would pull it back and throw it again. If they don't have a lifesling, then they may have been using the horseshoe for that purpose. If you throw the whole line in, then you have no way to retrieve the COB unless the boat gets really close, which is very hard and adds the danger of the boat itself injuring the COB. Just adding another piece of floatation to the ones I would have thrown in the water is not much help, especially since a piece of floatation more than a couple of yards from the COB may be impossible for him to get to.
By the way, this is one of those times that I think having a sugar scoop transom is a big benefit, because you can get a COB back aboard with essentially no lifting (though if seas are rough, the transom goes up and down a lot and you still have to be very careful).
Old 01-21-2010

mattny08 is on a distinguished road
smackdaddy - the helicopter strap is supposedly being reconsidered, but no changes have been made as of yet. On my boat, we've purchased a John Buoy which is like a 1 man life raft with lifting straps on it. It attaches on the back of the boat and you pull a lever which ejects it over the stern and it's supposed to inflate automatically. I think it increases the odds of recovery tremendously, especially in night conditions under spinnaker (which is my nightmare scenario).

To sailingdog's point, getting the victim back on board these boats is a real challenge. I won't go near the transom in even the slightest chop - you'll be knocked out cold.

zz4gta - I assure you this is not pleasure cruise...
Old 01-22-2010

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
Great thread.

If this is too far off the subject, I'll be glad to repost it in its own.

I mostly single hand. I wear a harness almost all the time when I'm out alone and stay hooked onto my jackline when not below. I know the key is to not go over to begin with. But I have wondered what I'd do if:
1. I went over and was being drug alongside, still hooked in.
2. How I'd ever get back on board.

1. If I were on the lee side, and there was much heel, there would be little free board and I could possibly grab something and pull myself back up on board. If I were on the high side, I guess I'd just release the tether at my harness and swim for?

2. If there was any kind of sea, I know how dangerous the stern can be. But if it's the only way back aboard, I think I'd rather take my chances. To enable this, I have considered installing some kind of quick release to the stern ladder so that I could lower it from the water.

Any advice for these or other strategies?
Old 01-22-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey harbin - it's not off topic at all, and even if it was - no worries. Do you have a quick release on your tether? If you're being dragged alongside and have enough play in your tether to have your head under - from everything I've read, your done for unless you can release. Too much water pressure to do anything.

But then, if you do release and you're boat is sailing fast enough to apply the above pressure - it seems your boat will be long gone. 4-6 knots is pretty damn fast.

My take is that if you go overboard singlehanding - unless there's someone around to help you out, you're done.

There are salts on here FAR, FAR more qualified to answer this. For example, take a look at the link JRP provided in another thread. Sobering stuff. So stay on the boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Also, since we are off on this MOB recovery tangent anyway, I meant to post a link to the Lifesling Case Studies. This is very instructive reading if you haven't seen it yet.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-22-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
harbin: how are you steering? If you're doing it manually then trim for a bit of weather helm so that the boat will heave-to when you drop the tiller. Of course, you're more worried about going overboard when you're working on the foredeck than when you're in the cockpit.

There needs to be some way to disengage autopilot/windvane steering when singlehanders go overboard.
Old 01-22-2010

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
I do have a quick release on my tether. I'd expect pulling it from under the water would be a little different than pulling it standing in the cockpit. NO, going over doesn't leave a lot of options.
I do have an autohelm. I guess minimizing its use and keeping some weather helm isn't a bad strategy but, like Adam says, it is usually when you are forward that the risk is highest (and the autohelm is always on then). I like the idea of a trip device for the autohelm. They have them on jet skis. I don't know that it matters whether you're swimming after a sailboat doing 6 knots or a jet ski doing 40.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.