Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
MOB Video

I posted this link in another thread a few days ago, but thought it deserved one here. Watch the video...it's amazing how quickly it happens.

Overboard in South Atlantic Storm

Anybody been there? What do you think they did wrong/right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2009

meuritt is on a distinguished road
Interesting link, it is amazing how quickly it happened.

MOB concerns me, I sail in SF Bay and the cold waters don't give a person in the water much time, as a kayaker, wearing the immersion gear, we probably have about 45 minutes, but we are rather psyched for emmersion anyway, being inches off the water. The club regularly hold rescue practices so we know what to do when we do find ourselves under the boat. I think a person going in from a sailboat deck as the video shows would have it worse. Probably chilled to start with and totally unexpected because of the ever present attitude of it can't happen to me, the shock of hitting the cold water, which can cause the gasp reflex, and you can be toast instantly. Google cold water boot camp for details.

That said, I have a motor sailor with a deep cockpit with high steel railings for controlling running lines, but still need to go forward for reef or jib changes. Most of the time we never need to leave the enclosed pilothouse.

I've seen a video of a female getting a male MOB aboard using life sling. I was surprised at how slow it appeared to be and how long it took her. With our high free board, it is going to be even harder for us.

We have plans to test all this life sling and related gear at the mooring buoy, then go out and practice, maybe even with a wetsuited live volunteer, and kayak safety nearby. This video gives that plan a bit of urgency... Even though it can't happen to us.

Mike
San Rafael, CA
Old 12-01-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Seventeen minutes sounds like a LONG time - especially if they've practiced the maneuver before. The announcer said they were in 8m (24') seas, which seems unlikely from what we saw in the video. We don't know what sails they had up, or what their drill is supposed to be. It would be good to know more before turning into Monday morning quarterbacks.
Being unhitched while going on and off watch IS dangerous. A member of our club was knocked overboard one night by the main boom in a surprise gybe while he came up the main hatchway. They never found him.
Old 12-01-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Seventeen minutes sounds like a LONG time - especially if they've practiced the maneuver before.
Have you seen the movie Morning Light? They showed an expected MOB drill and it took them about as long (18 minutes, I think). It's not easy.
Old 12-01-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
This is a good read:
http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/COB.pdf

It really does take longer than one would think and is hard to do to.
Old 12-01-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Nice link David. Thanks.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 12-02-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
17 minutes actually isn't that bad... I know, it sounds nuts and like you should be able to do it in 2 but things just never work out that way in the real world

Putting a 2nd person in the water is generally frowned upon but is apparently clipper SOP. I don't really have a problem with it myself provided that potential victim #2 only goes over once the boat is pretty much stopped alongside victim #1 - I'm sure that's what they did and to do it otherwise would be extremely stupid.

The main problem is that everybody practices these things on nice sunny days in calm seas and 10kt breeze. I'm no expert so I'm not going to start spouting tips and tricks, but 17 is unfortunately pretty reasonable. Technically I'm qualified for ISAF Cat 0 racing (Newport Bermuda is a Cat 1, I believe Fastnet is a Cat 2, our nearshore 'round the cans is Cat 5, etc). The #1 take-away from the whole cert process?? STAY ON THE BOAT!
Old 12-03-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We've practiced MOB drills flying the 'chute in 20 knots of breeze and have been back at the "victim" (a cushion in this case) within a minute. We weren't going 20 knots in the South Atlantic, so perhaps didn't travel as far away from the drop zone as they may have, but by doing a Quickstop (tack immediately, all standing) we repeated this result several times with a variety of sail combinations in the midst of doing different maneuvers. Slowing the boat down to pick someone or something up is not easy. It often takes several passes. Getting someone back on board is difficult - we've worked with live practice victims as well. 17 minutes is simply too long for people to expect good survival rates, especially if the water is cold. I am talking to my sailmaker about making a triangular retrieval canvas, about 8 or 10 feet on a side, that we could attach between two stanchion bases and then slip under the MOB, with it's third point outboard. We'd then use it as a parbuckle to hoist the MOB back aboard using our running backstay tackle. This might help avoid the need to send someone else over the side to assist, even if the victim is unconscious.
Old 12-03-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
At least it was day time. And it turned out well in this case.

After reading about the Fastnet and Hobart disasters - the idea of losing someone overboard at night, then hearing them call out while you drift away from them would be seriously devastating.

I suspect that part of the extra time was due to the fact that the COB was not able to help much due to the cold (also maybe the reason for the second person in the water...which I've heard is standard Clipper race procedure).

BTW - in addition to remaining clipped in, should he have been on the low side as well?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-03-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
BTW - in addition to remaining clipped in, should he have been on the low side as well?
Why would one want to be to leeward?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.