Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Storing whisker pole vertically

I have come up with a way to store my whisker pole vertically, and I don't see anyone else doing it. I'm wondering why.
I hook one end of the pole on the mast ring where it will be attached when used. The other end of the pole is secured to the topping lift, and lifted vertically. So, the pole and mast are parallel. Then, I only have to release the topping lift to lower the pole into place for use. The only possible drawback I can see, is that the pole might bang against the mast in big seas or heavy winds, (though it seems pretty secure in the slip). If so, I could pad it. It sure seems a lot more convenient than storing it horizontally on deck. Anyone see other problems?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
I normally store it as you describe. The pole bangs to the mast but I normally wrap the spinnaker line around both the pole and the mast.
Old 12-05-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
People don't store their spinnaker or whisker poles vertically on the mast because when they work loose (all by themselves, it just suddenly happens!) they drop down and (pick any two) 1/hit people who are sunning on the foredeck, causing a 4" gash that leaves bloodstains that are a real chore to clean up 2/hit the deck, causing a 2"gash and cracks that cost $1500 to fix 3/hit the hatch, requiring a new $800 hatchcover, 4/ torque and break the $300 end fitting, the $100 mast fitting, and possibly the $100 track, which will cost $750 to re-install. If you calculate how long the pole is and how much leverage that affords at the business end, you will probably stow your whisker or spinnaker pole on deck. If it is too heavy to handle, each of those pounds is adding to the leverage and/or impact of the pole. Perhaps carbon fiber would be a lighter option. Despite its cost, it may end up being cheaper than the alternatives.
Old 12-05-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I frequently see spin/whisker poles stowed in this manner, except that those who do normally use some mounting hardware to secure it and free the topping lift for other purposes (see, e.g. Mast Mounted Pole Chock )

I would invest in the mounting hardware and avoid any possibility of it coming lose or banging the mast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-05-2009

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Paul is right, we store two vertically and one fell...it was not damaged as my wife's head was between it and the deck.

They bang unless they are well secured but they are much easier to deploy which is important on a 55ft boat with a 70ft stick.

Phil
Old 12-05-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Sorry to have been proved right that way. Ouch!
Old 12-05-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I have come up with a way to store my whisker pole vertically, and I don't see anyone else doing it.
There are a number of boats that stow the pole on the mast. HR is one. The upper end is secured to a track on the mast. It comes lose only deliberately for removal. The pole has a hoist line allowing it to be lowered or raised under control to set the proper angle for spinnaker or jib (as whisker pole)

The outboard (lower) end attaches to a bail at the base of the mast when stowed. Once stowed it is fully secured. Ours has had the green water test a number of times.

Wayne

Last edited by wwilson; 12-05-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
There are a number of boats that stow the pole on the mast. HR is one. The upper end is secured to a track on the mast. It comes lose only deliberately for removal etc. The pole has a hoist line allowing it to be lowered or raised under control to set the proper angle for spinnaker or jib (as whisker pole)

The outboard (lower) end attaches to a bail at the base of the mast when stowed. Once stowed it is fully secured. Ours has had the green water test a number of times.

Wayne
Same kind of setup on the Oyster I sail offshore on. Conventional-ish topping lift to the middle of the pole, but the mast end height is also controllable. When the pole goes away the mast end goes up, topping lift eased, and then the outboard end of the pole clips into a ring at the base of the mast. Haul the mast end tight, remove the topping lift (or not, depending) and you're done. Easy stuff, boat had seen way more than its share of green water, no problems
Old 12-05-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Since a whisker pole is much lighter/smaller than a spinn pole, if you have a track try using two rings, one near the top of the track and slip the pin end through, clip the other end into the ring at the bottom,or to an appropriate fitting lower down near the deck.

Simply pulling the pole vertical with the pole lift is not going to be very stable in any kind of action underway.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-06-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
Paul is right, we store two vertically and one fell...it was not damaged as my wife's head was between it and the deck.

They bang unless they are well secured but they are much easier to deploy which is important on a 55ft boat with a 70ft stick.

Phil
I'm a little confused. Despite the horrific incident, you still seem to be a proponent of the vertical system. What went wrong, and do you still have the same wife?