Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Hanks vs Furling

Reading a book called Storm Sailing by Gary Jobson. I was wondering if this statement was still true in his book.
" Racing boats have larger crews to handel non-self-furling sails. Many cruissing skippers still hank on their sails, because of a lack of faith in a furling system's ability to work perfectly in a storm emergency. "

Is this fact or fiction, or should I just send it over to Myth Busters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Reading a book called Storm Sailing by Gary Jobson. I was wondering if this statement was still true in his book.
" Racing boats have larger crews to handel non-self-furling sails. Many cruissing skippers still hank on their sails, because of a lack of faith in a furling system's ability to work perfectly in a storm emergency. "

Is this fact or fiction, or should I just send it over to Myth Busters.
Well, a lot of race boats over about 30' have a foil rather than hanks... and there are race classes where a furling jib is part of the OD configuration (J/105 comes to mind)

Offshore yeah, no serious race boat would use a furler - unless they're in delivery mode in which case it's probably furler all the way.

Furlers do fail though, so for the Moitissier types out there I'm sure they go no furler. I've only personally been invovled with a furler failing 100% once - trying to furl in a sail that had already torn (maybe 15kt, seam let go). We got a few turns in and the whole thing jammed, no in, no out... up the rig with a knife and down comes what used to be a very expensive kevlar string sail in very ugly looking pieces
Old 12-08-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Race boats don't use furlers b/c they have multiple sails. If the breeze picks up, they change to a smaller sail. A smaller sail is easier on the crew, and you can point higher with it.

When a furler is furled, it screws up the shape of the most important first 1/3 of the sail. The entry. The belly of the sail ends up being too far forward, and most people don't use barberhaulers to improve sheeting angles. So you can't point as high, the sail doesn't drive as much, it produces more drag and more heel. Exactly what you don't want in a building breeze.

As to whether it works or not, I've found on most boats that use them, that the owners know the furlers are a bit "sticky" yet they do nothing to improve it. Setting themselves up for a jam.

Last edited by zz4gta; 12-08-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen many " cruising " boats hanking on their sails these days.
I'm sure they are out there.

Space is such a premium when cruising, having 3 or four head sails to store is a challenge.

The challenge then becomes, how to deploy a storm jib since furliing jibs don't serve that purpose.

I spent the money on the ATN gale sail, so I could have a solution. I haven't had to deploy it in actual gale conditions yet.

Others have installed inner forestays, some with a quick release to get it out of the way when not in use.
Old 12-08-2009

Not sure I understand I thought you could roll out your furling a little then it would act as a storm jib ? Sorry if I am not making sense I have hanks on my boat and have never worked with a furling.
Old 12-08-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
lapworth,

You can roll out a furling jib a little bit in extreme conditions but it does not work well at all. The problem with it is that the sails do not roll evenly on the furler making the sail have very poor shape and providing effectively little drive. In addition, these sails/systems are not designed for extreme conditions and the forces associated with those conditions.

I would say that the original statement is true. As furlers get better, it is becoming less common to see hank on sails but many true offshore sailor prefer hanks, at least for heavy weather sails. A common combination is roller furling genoa and hank on staysail for a cutter rig. Hanks are not 100% reliable either. I have broken hanks and have had them clip into each other, both causing a situation where the sail was very hard to manage.
Old 12-08-2009

Thanks you are all very helpful. " The more I see the less I know "
Old 12-08-2009

Vundakid is on a distinguished road
Furling vs 2nd forestay

Hi
Reading the post I am not sure I wasnt to 'upgrade' to roller furling. I have a 30' sloop and singlehand a lot so the question 2nd stay or roller furling.
Thanks
Tom
Old 12-08-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Lapworth,

A roller furling rolled out a little, in high winds deploys too high, the sail material is of insufficient gauge, and you always stand the risk of having the whole sail unfurling at the most inopportune moment.

A storm jib, is much heavier gauge material, deploys lower, but not too low that it catches breaking seas
Old 12-08-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Look at any boat doing serious racing around the world, and in the Southern Ocean. I see lots of furlers!........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.