Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcarpet View Post
Older Sailboats are like Victorian Houses they look pretty but once you start to fix the wiring you find out you have ...
Fair winds and smooth seas on your journey! Cap'n Rich
I rather like this comparison of older sailboats to Victorian houses. It is usually just the gingerbread moldings and a paint job that need to be done but sometimes it is termites, wiring or lead pipes that need to be replaced.
When it comes to boats though I just like the look of most older boats - my 1967 Tartan 27' included. Our boat may not win many races but it does turn heads with it's classic lines. On the boat we get to repair and refinish the teak toe rail (PITA like on a gingebread house), repair the chain plates and hull as needed (like a foundation on an old house), and re-do some of the work done by previous owners (which is the same for a boat or a house).

Congrats on your new-to-you Coronado 25'.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
We have a 1967 Chris Craft built S&S designed sloop that is tough as nails. The mast is stout and keel stepped and every time we do some maintenance work, we are amazed at the construction quality as well as the thickness of the hull. It has never had hint of a blister, and I've had it off shore in challenging weather a number of times. I think each boat has to be evaluated on its merits, but this series seems very dependable. We took 2nd place in the Governor's cup a couple years ago during a rare year when the wind blew aggressively most of the night...many of the other bay boats were flailing and hanging on for dear life, while we were able to keep the 150 up all the way will little stress. On another occasion I hit a rock at full speed (cast iron fin keel with a bulb at the base-boat draws 6 ft). Hauled the boat out for a look, only a small chip where it hit...this type of strike would have destroyed the frame of many current day boats. Anyway, each boat has to be looked at on its merits, I think.

Moe
Crishelle
Apache 37
Old 12-13-2009
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Probably so Moe.

I found a Coronado forum but it's a bit slow. I'm trying to find as many owners as I can to evaluate this make and model for it's common failure points.
Old 12-13-2009
USCG Master 100 ton

flyingcarpet is on a distinguished road
Don't get me wrong I've sailed many from FRP boats to ferro cement to wood
many types of rigs. Some I like more than others the Westsail was slow but she was a heavy displacement boat you got what you asked for. I sailed Cal 40's, Irwin 37's Brown and Piver TriMarans, Ferro Cement and so one. I'm not asking anyone to do what I did. Just passing along my knowledge for what it is worth.
Cap'n Rich

Get what you can afford,
sail what you can handle,
and love what you're doing! Tristan Jones

The years thunder by, the dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Sterling Hayden
Old 12-14-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Age & Seaworthy

When I first saw this, I thought you were talking about us older fellows...
But then I realized you were talking about the boats.
It is true that us older fellows & Ladies are seaworthy.
1. Is the boat older or younger than you?
2. Can your body handle the beating it will get out there?
3. Can that boat handle the beating offshore you will give it?

If you answered yes to #2 & 3 then you have nothing extra to worry about.
Now #1 is depending how you value Good clean lines of the older vessels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-14-2009
USCG Master 100 ton

flyingcarpet is on a distinguished road
Boasun, I salute superiors 1. The boat is not older than I am 2. Getting close 3. Better than me
Keep a good lookout for us old codgers in small vessels!

"To young men contemplating a voyage I would say go. The tales of rough usage are for the most part exaggerations, as also are the tales of sea danger. To face the elements is, to be sure, no light matter when the sea is in its grandest mood. You must then know the sea, and know that you know it, and not forget that it was made to be sailed over." - Joshua Slocum
Cap'n Rich

The years thunder by, the dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Sterling Hayden
Old 12-28-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Age is not nearly as relevant as are quality of build and care of the vessel. Paloma is 30-years old and at her ages of 16 and again at 29, we endured Force 10 storms in the Gulf with 50-60 knot winds and 28-30 foot seas. She performed no less well (no more creaks and groans) in the 2008 storm at 29 years old than she did in the 1995 storm at 16.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by johnshasteen; 12-29-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2010

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
All things being equal, and the hull having passed survey, I would be more concerned with the parts attached to the hull than the hull itself, like old gate valves, sub-current spec hoses, galvanized this and brass that and rotting wood the other. Certainly, every season I inspect the mast, rigging and chainplates carefully, and I'm in fresh water with a 5 1/2 month haulout.

I've found keeping a now 37-year old 33 footer less about the plastic and more about what is stuck to the plastic...or through the plastic.