Who has done it - run over your own dinghy painter - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

View Poll Results: Have you ever run over your own dinghy line?
Yes 13 48.15%
No 14 51.85%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

I sail a trimaran and so I carry my dinghy on the windward float for most of the time and, as such, this issue doesn't worry me a lot.

Neverthelless here are a couple of things one can do to reduce the probability of that unfortunate happening:

1- Make the painter float by placing small fishing net plastic floats at close intervals;

2- This one I've read in PBO, insert the painter through a piece of rubber garden hose. This reduces the risk of entanglement in the prop as well as it avoids that annoying tendency of dinghies to catch up with the stern of the towing vessel...

Regards!

Pedro Cabral

Pedro

Portugal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

Send a message via Skype™ to Sitaram
The qustion could be who has not run over the panter, if your out there long enough it will happen to you for sure!

Commercial link removed by tdw
post #13 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

Been there, done it, and with the floating line. Usually have 30 ft. of line out to tow the dinghy. Pulled in to anchor, dropped the hook, drfited back in neutral, cleated off the rode and started backing down on the anchor to set. Forgot to pull up the dinghy and the prop wash sucked the line into the prop. Luckily it was clear warm water and I got to go for a swim and untangle, and without having to cut since it wound itself around the shaft.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

I voted NO only because there was no option for NOT YET!! Came close a couple of times. I'm sure we will all do it at least once. Beside it gives you a reason to clean the prop mid season.
A very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All

Peter
"Justified"
post #15 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

Ran over the painter, cut the dinghy free, stalled the engine, jammed the shaft, sprang, a plank (wooden boat, offset prop). So, I was flooding and stalled in the mooring field, sails furled. Not a good day. I managed to pick the mooring up, cut the line from the shaft (dove over with a knife), got a tow to the dock, hauled.
Not a good day.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

Oh Yes!!

I was using a floating painter but stupidly left a short 5-6 ft section of old line tied to the dinghy but inside the dink. We sailed to Naptown. I tied the dink in tight to the stern as we came into the harbor, then hit reverse at the bridge and heard (and felt) the dreaded "kerthunk". The old painter had obviously fallen out, was in the water, and wrapped around my prop. We somehow limped to the mooring, and I got to take a swim. All seemed OK after I removed a little line.
The next day we motor/sailed towards Baltimore, and heard another "kerthunk" as we passed the Magothy and lost prop thrust. Eventually we figured out that the key way had sacrificed itself. We made a "Macguyver" style repair with an allen wrench, some parachute cord, and duct tape, and gently motored home without incident....Lesson learned--it could have been worse!!
post #17 of 21 Old 12-22-2009
1975 Newport 28

Not having a dinghy, I was going to ask why a polypropylene line that floated wouldn't be the first choice all the time? UV breakdown, strength, expense?

Even though it could still be sucked under, I'd think that the fact it floated would prevent a lot of incidents.

S/V Free Spirit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
post #18 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

Not a bad experience, this time

A few years ago we chartered a cat in the BVIs. Just like Scottbr we hit the painter as as we were anchoring. The best part was that no one noticed right away. Then someone said that dinghy out there looks just like ours. Oh sh#*t it is ours!

Thankfully it was a gorgeous afternoon, and I already had the swimsuit on. I was able to jump in and swim the what turned out to be 50yds by time I caught up to it and retrieve our dinghy. The best part is that it made daddy a hero to my daughters who were 5 and 6 yrs old at the time. Of course everyone else was thinking what an idiot I was for running over the painter and not realizing it.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-22-2009

I'm pretty sure the painter I cut was polyprop.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-23-2009
Freedom 39

My experience was identical in every aspect to what Scottbr described above. My "new" floating painter was less than a week old. The prop didn't cut it but did put a few nicks in the line. No damage to boat, minnimal damage to my pride!

Last edited by FarCry; 12-24-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.