Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Lights and Recognition (Software ?)

Boasun's most recent post (Dec 27 09) on the Rules of the Road thread was about identifying water traffic using only the lights seen from your own boat, and it made me wonder - is there training software that simulates boat lights and channel markers that we can practice with so we can identify situations like the one that Boasun is posting about ? Some configurations of lights are probably hard to identify when all you have to go on are the lights, something like a boat pulling a barge, or a few boats sailing along behind one another through a channel, it would be an interesting thing to practice if there is software out there to do it. I imagine it having a screen with lights on it with a black background and you just watch it and watch as the lights slowly move in relation to each other then imagine in your mind what is actually going on, then you can hit a button and it brightens the background and shows you the radio tower you thought was a channel marker, and the barge you thought was two small fishing vessels.

Edit - if there isn't software, is there a book with illustrations ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-27-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
I know of a few Danish ones, besides this:
reviewlights
Old 12-27-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post
I know of a few Danish ones, besides this:
reviewlights
I just went through that simulation and I see the one that Boasun was talking about. I have to admit, if I came upon a boat with that many lights I would just stay really far away from it if I could not having any idea what it was.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
An Oil rig is a really confusing sight at sea too, better stay away from those too
Old 12-27-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
On Oil rigs... Yes those are well lite up... But the satellites may have only corner lights that are dimmed by a heavy coating of Bird droppings or the lights just might be out. So if you are sailing in or near the oil fields, Keep your eyes open, Radar properly tuned and in use. And get one or more pairs of extra eyes on deck with you.
I have see The above many times and an occasional hurricanes may destroy the lights also...
And Please report any platform that is unlite out there, for everybodies' safety.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-28-2009
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Boasun's most recent post (Dec 27 09) on the Rules of the Road thread was about identifying water traffic using only the lights seen from your own boat, and it made me wonder - is there training software that simulates boat lights and channel markers that we can practice with so we can identify situations like the one that Boasun is posting about ? Some configurations of lights are probably hard to identify when all you have to go on are the lights, something like a boat pulling a barge, or a few boats sailing along behind one another through a channel, it would be an interesting thing to practice if there is software out there to do it. I imagine it having a screen with lights on it with a black background and you just watch it and watch as the lights slowly move in relation to each other then imagine in your mind what is actually going on, then you can hit a button and it brightens the background and shows you the radio tower you thought was a channel marker, and the barge you thought was two small fishing vessels.

NavRules Training Software

RulesMaster - RulesMaster Pro: learn the COLREGS (nautical Rules of the Road)
Old 12-28-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
Another option is a light rule which is made by weems and plath. It isn't computerized but you could definitely randomly test yourself with it and it could be handy to have on board your vessel. I have used one on a few occasions and they are very helpful.
Old 12-30-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
There is an iPod app that does precisely that, (lights recognition), I saw it on the app store under navigation apps. I had purchased Navionics and AyeTides and then saw a list of what others bought who also purchased what I did and there was this navigation light app. I forget the name of it but when I get home tonight I can look it up easy enough, actually anyone can go to the iTunes store and look it up under navigation or utilities apps. There are a couple positive reviews on it.
Old 12-30-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
OK, Found them!
AquaLights
NaviLights
Harry's Sailor
Each has it's own style for colregs and lights identification for various boats.
Do a search on iTunes for the iPod apps I named and you will find them and other associated apps.
Old 12-30-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
B
Both Chapman's and The Annapolis Book of Seamanship have illustrations.

Check out

Sailtrain:Training aids for RYA Competent Crew, Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster sailing courses.

For some good resources and illustrations.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)