SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lights and Recognition (Software ?)

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Yamsailor 
#1 · (Edited)
Boasun's most recent post (Dec 27 09) on the Rules of the Road thread was about identifying water traffic using only the lights seen from your own boat, and it made me wonder - is there training software that simulates boat lights and channel markers that we can practice with so we can identify situations like the one that Boasun is posting about ? Some configurations of lights are probably hard to identify when all you have to go on are the lights, something like a boat pulling a barge, or a few boats sailing along behind one another through a channel, it would be an interesting thing to practice if there is software out there to do it. I imagine it having a screen with lights on it with a black background and you just watch it and watch as the lights slowly move in relation to each other then imagine in your mind what is actually going on, then you can hit a button and it brightens the background and shows you the radio tower you thought was a channel marker, and the barge you thought was two small fishing vessels.

Edit - if there isn't software, is there a book with illustrations ?

#5 ·
On Oil rigs... Yes those are well lite up... But the satellites may have only corner lights that are dimmed by a heavy coating of Bird droppings or the lights just might be out. So if you are sailing in or near the oil fields, Keep your eyes open, Radar properly tuned and in use. And get one or more pairs of extra eyes on deck with you.
I have see The above many times and an occasional hurricanes may destroy the lights also...
And Please report any platform that is unlite out there, for everybodies' safety.

#7 ·
Another option is a light rule which is made by weems and plath. It isn't computerized but you could definitely randomly test yourself with it and it could be handy to have on board your vessel. I have used one on a few occasions and they are very helpful.

#8 ·
There is an iPod app that does precisely that, (lights recognition), I saw it on the app store under navigation apps. I had purchased Navionics and AyeTides and then saw a list of what others bought who also purchased what I did and there was this navigation light app. I forget the name of it but when I get home tonight I can look it up easy enough, actually anyone can go to the iTunes store and look it up under navigation or utilities apps. There are a couple positive reviews on it.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.