SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Annapolis Book of Seamanship (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/61265-annapolis-book-seamanship.html)

smackdaddy 01-13-2010 04:07 PM

Annapolis Book of Seamanship

I've been watching the "Annapolis Book of Seamanship" DVD series with John Rousmaniere. I know John pops in here every once in a while and I wanted to say thanks for a great series. Really helpful.

Having him frame safety considerations in light of the Fastnet disaster about which he wrote in Fastnet Force 10 (another great read) really puts things in perspective.

Rent this series.

It's so great to have such experienced sailors around willing to teach us new sailors.

Cal28 01-16-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 559590)
I've been watching the "Annapolis Book of Seamanship" DVD series with John Rousmaniere. I know John pops in here every once in a while and I wanted to say thanks for a great series. Really helpful.

Having him frame safety considerations in light of the Fastnet disaster about which he wrote in Fastnet Force 10 (another great read) really puts things in perspective.

Rent this series.

It's so great to have such experienced sailors around willing to teach us new sailors.

Smack ...

thanks for te heads-up ... just checked and it is available on netflix (vol 1 streaming even)

carl762 01-19-2010 01:57 PM

I've done the first two. Got the rest in my Queue. Good stuff.

Darned beautiful boat, too. Want to see the inside of her.

smackdaddy 01-20-2010 10:00 AM

Yeah - they've got 1 and 3 for streaming. The other 3 are on DVD only. I've got them in my cue. I'll let you guys know how they are.

So far, they're a really great overview. Not a tremendous amount of detail - but more a top-level explanation of the whole picture. Now if I can just get past the '80's fashion.

BTW - what is John's boat in these vids? It looks like a C&C maybe?

carl762 03-03-2010 06:55 PM

I've now noticed a couple different boats in the videos. I like the ship in the first videos.

I really enjoyed Disk 4 - Navigation. John really has a way of speaking that connects directly to my brain's understanding centers.

Going to watch Disk 5 tonight, while studying navigation skills and practicing on the charts.

BubbleheadMd 03-04-2010 06:56 AM

I've been watching the videos as well. Does the book contain significantly more information that would make it worth buying if you already have access to the video series?

Bene505 03-04-2010 08:16 AM

The series was on eBay a couple weeks ago for $31 + shipping. No bidders, so I'd bet you could contact the seller and make a deal.

The Annapolis Book Of Seamanship DVD Ser - ANNAPOLISDV - eBay (item 250582311366 end time Feb-22-10 16:04:32 PST)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/landfallnav_2092_161359946

Regards,
Brad

carl762 03-04-2010 02:24 PM

That's a great deal on the DVD series.

Good question Bubblehead. I just checked the local library and requested the book. It's due back today. I'll let you know.

Last night, I took home "Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship", 66th Edition. Wow, what a book!!!!! Great buy at Amazon right now for $37.00.

I'd like to own John's materials as well. When I review the book, I'll let you know, Bubblehead.

wwilson 03-04-2010 03:25 PM

The Annapolis Book of Seamanship series is available on Netflix as well. Vol 1-3 are available streaming for computer, PS3, or XBox systems - free (for Netflix members)

adirondaksailor 03-06-2010 06:51 AM

BubbleheadMD, I bought the book years ago--before I ever started sailing--and then devoured it after I bought my first sailboat. It's a treasure trove of information and insight on everything related to sailing. Extremely detailed. I refer to it often. Recently I watched some of the DVDs, and I agree with others that they're terrific. But the book is well worth the price.

Bob