Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010

mattny08 is on a distinguished road
Cork on the Rocks

BBC News - Sailors rescued near Java during clipper race

I don't think this made the news back in the US, but it was all over in the UK.

Now I know that every armchair quarterback's reaction is to say - "oh, amateurs shouldn't race around the world", etc.. But this is a school boy error by what is supposed to be a seasoned, professional skipper with excellent seamanship (in coastal waters none the less). The worst part is that the reef he hit was supposed to be left to port and the boat lies on it's starboard side... Luckily (miraculously really) no one was seriously injured, but many are probably scarred for life. I didn't appreciate how horrifying hitting a reef in the middle of the night is until I spoke to some of the crew after being rescued. The boat is a complete loss with 6 large holes in it's side.

Lesson to be learned: If you are ever, ever in doubt of something on a chart, stay the hell away - even in a race. We left this mark 2 miles to our port side because we couldn't see the light. Turns out it's been extinguished, which is in the notes of the chart.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ouch. This has been a pretty tough race it seems - what with the COBs and the groundings. Have you been in this race? Just asking because of your last paragraph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-21-2010

I am in this race and luckily not on that boat. In addition to the above mentioned, there was also a pretty serious start line collision involving cork as well. Another bonehead move. It does cast an ugly light on the race, but it really is isolated to one particular skipper.
Old 01-21-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Very cool! Dude, you've been so coy!

If you don't mind, let us know which boat so we can follow you guys. Is it "California"?

Suddenly this race has become FAR more interesting. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-01-2010

I'm on Jamaica. You can check out my blog as well, although I haven't been very good about updating it lately. It's been tough getting reliable internet access in this part of the world!
http://web.me.com/mshaferny08/mattclipper/Intro.html