Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Taipan 28 - How well offshore?

Displ. 7850lbs; ballast 3085lbs to be exact.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2003

FloridaWriter is on a distinguished road

I hope you take some of the wind this thread has created and go sailing with it

Luckily opinions of boats are like noses, eveyone has one, even if some seem to get out of joint sometimes.
Old 12-21-2003

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

It doesnt appear any one hear has any offshore experience on this boat, so why dont you take it off shore and see for your self. -thomas
Old 03-23-2004

Correction to earlier: the Taipan does NOT have concrete-encased steel ballast as both Jeff H. and I both earlier assumed. During my osmosis fix (BTW, the hull above the keel was in pretty good shape, but the keel itself was pretty bad) I penetrated the keel in a few spots. It is concrete-encased LEAD. For what that''s worth ...
Old 03-23-2004

Correction to earlier: the Taipan does NOT have concrete-encased steel ballast as both Jeff H. and I both earlier assumed. During my osmosis fix (BTW, the hull above the keel was in pretty good shape, but the keel itself was pretty bad) I penetrated the keel in a few spots. It is concrete-encased LEAD. For what that''s worth ...
Old 11-08-2005

Well, I am happy to report that all this theory finally went to the test. Despite Jeff''s concerns, the Taipan just survived up to 11-meter waves and Force 10-11 winds as she (we) inadvertently sailed through a fast developing typhoon in the South China Sea (at one point we were less than 20 nautical miles from the center). The boat performed spectacularly. Despite confused and breaking seas that should have rolled us on at least one occasion, she was incredibly resistant to a knockdown. Once, we went over 90 degrees, but she popped right back up. We were pooped numerous times, but her small cockpit drained quickly and the water didn''t seriously affect her ability to stay pointed. After dismasting, her full keel kept us safely off Vietnam''s lee shore until conditions settled and we were able to motor into Da Nang.

I would never voluntarily tackle those extreme conditions again, but if I were forced to, I''d do it in this boat.
sidney777 likes this.
Old 11-09-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

That is some tale. I am sorry to hear of the damage that you sustained but glad to hear that you are safe and that the boat got you through the obvious mayhem that you were dealing with. Your post shows the shortcomings of my attempt to judge your boat by its numbers and my experience with similar designs.

Best wishes for years of fair winds and more reasonable windspeeds and seas.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2010

sailorjohn34 is on a distinguished road
I've been reading all this... I just lost a catalina 27 in a storm last week. I just got my taipan 28. everyone used to tell me how the catalina wasn't a sea boat.. now people say the tai pan isnt a sea boat...
if you keep the waves off the beam as in not coming from the beams, and you keep your sail area realistic for the weather you're in... anything can sail the ocean.
my catalina was lost due to a poorly marked channel entry in southern california, I started into the channel then discovered that charts failed to mark the shoal, I attempted to make my way back out toward the ocean and was rolled by a 15 foot wave that broke on my beam. as to the tai pan being a sea boat... forget the numbers that some geek at a computer came up with, get out and feel the boat, get to know the boat and if you're worth your salt, you'll learn to judge just what she can take. I've sailed 60mph winds in 16 foot twin keel boats, granted it's wet and cold.. it can be done.
have faith in your boat. now to all who will post reply to this saying I don't know what I'm talking about.. don't bother being hateful or critical.. I'm experienced in all weather conditions on many boats.. I love small boats and big winds. I'm a firm believer that if you know your boat and your abilities then you can sail a pram dink into a hurricane.. as long as you can get the water out as fast as it can get on board, you'll keep floating.
sidney777 likes this.
Old 04-20-2012

K.McRoberts is on a distinguished road
Re: Taipan 28 - How well offshore?

sneuman and sailor john how is the Taipan treating you guys? I'm going to sea trial a 1978 on Saturday.
sneuman and kmcroberts like this.
Old 04-22-2012

K.McRoberts is on a distinguished road
Re: Taipan 28 - How well offshore?

Update! Purchased her yesterday! Needs a little love on her teak decks, but all in all super solid! Love the new loose footed main. Pics coming soon!
sneuman likes this.