Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Re: Taipan 28 - How well offshore?

I have seen its keel described as a long keel 4 and half feet draught so that seems reasonable for 28 foot boat with 7 and half foot beam. But she does have a lot of overhangs, over7 feet on 28 boat. too much for me, she also has small sail area to disp so may not be that prone to being easily laid on its side. The 27 foot sister has waterline under 19 feet thats even worse.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2012

inprin is on a distinguished road

K.McRoberts, I have one of the few US based Taipan 28's. Mine was built in '69. I am the 3rd owner and I am wrapping up a complete rebuild (gut) which is being rather poorly documented by me at əkwâr`ēəs

She had teak decks that were in really bad shape. They all came off and I re-cored the entire deck. Now it is just fiberglass and paint, not as warm but should be dry and easier to maintain. All new bulkheads, I did keep the galley enclosure but all other mechanical, plumbing and electrical I am replacing. My interior had the two settee births not the table/birth which yours probably does being later.

I have sailed her and she can get a bone and really go in a broad reach. A little slower down wind with her smaller sail plan but I will probably single hand most of the time so small is good.

you can email direct if you have questions: prince dot n dot ian at gmail.com
K.McRoberts likes this.
Old 05-03-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.McRoberts View Post
sneuman and sailor john how is the Taipan treating you guys? I'm going to sea trial a 1978 on Saturday.
Hi there,
Unfortunately, my beloved Taipan 28 is long gone. She is probably on a scrap heap in Danang, Vietnam now - or being used mastless by some local fisherman. I just couldn't deal with the expense and bureaucracy of getting her out of the 'Nam.

My only caveat (and this is general and not specific to the Taipan 28) is BEWARE THE WOODEN MAST. There is rot in there somewhere and eventually you may find out in a nasty way. The proximate cause of my dismasting in that typhoon was an accidental jibe that did serious damage near the gooseneck, but the ultimate cause was a rotten mast.

I also had pretty bad osmosis, which I fixed, but that wasn't an issue in the typhoon.

As for the basic design of the boat, well what can you say about a boat that saved your life? Not nearly enough. Joy of your purchase!
K.McRoberts and LoboPops like this.

Last edited by sneuman; 05-03-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by inprin View Post
K.McRoberts, I have one of the few US based Taipan 28's. Mine was built in '69. I am the 3rd owner and I am wrapping up a complete rebuild (gut) which is being rather poorly documented by me at əkwâr`ēəs

She had teak decks that were in really bad shape. They all came off and I re-cored the entire deck. Now it is just fiberglass and paint, not as warm but should be dry and easier to maintain. All new bulkheads, I did keep the galley enclosure but all other mechanical, plumbing and electrical I am replacing. My interior had the two settee births not the table/birth which yours probably does being later.

I have sailed her and she can get a bone and really go in a broad reach. A little slower down wind with her smaller sail plan but I will probably single hand most of the time so small is good.

you can email direct if you have questions: prince dot n dot ian at gmail.com
Wow. Looking at your blog brought back memories! It looks like a very professional restoration - something that I'd hoped to do on my own Taipan, but for obvious reasons was never able to.
kmcroberts and K.McRoberts like this.
Old 05-10-2012

K.McRoberts is on a distinguished road

Here she is! Fresh decks waiting for Maritime caulking to finish off her decks.
Furler going on in next couple of weeks. New Yanmar 1GM10 and a new loose footed main. Recently de commissioned and re commissioned as the Slippery Shrimp!

Update 9-18-12
Built in 1976 The Slippery Shrimp is the 44th hull made in the Taipan 28 ( her hull number is 144 as they started at 100 ) Not sure officially how many were produced; I heard about 70 total.
Attached Thumbnails
Taipan 28 - How well offshore?-image.jpg   Taipan 28 - How well offshore?-image-1.jpg   Taipan 28 - How well offshore?-image-2.jpg   Taipan 28 - How well offshore?-559216_3828458342384_1638314904_n.jpg   Taipan 28 - How well offshore?-img_3948.jpg  

sneuman likes this.

Last edited by K.McRoberts; 09-18-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added a photo
Old 09-18-2012

K.McRoberts is on a distinguished road

inprin, Been keeping up on your progress! She is looking amazing. Can't wait to see more. As it turns out, I commented on your blog about the Yanmar 1GM. I have the same motor. It's a hard thumping worker. I just love it.
Keep us posted on the changes as they develop. So exciting to see another Taipan 28 out there.
Have a good day,
Kevin
kmcrobertsatverizondotnet