SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Navigation - Common Sense and Simple Tools (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/63248-navigation-common-sense-simple-tools.html)

smackdaddy 03-25-2010 08:27 PM

Navigation - Common Sense and Simple Tools

Here's the opening quote in "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Volume 4: Sailboat Navigation" by John Rousmaniere himself:

Quote:

"The word 'navigation' intimidates many people. The skills and equipment used to navigate a boat safely often seem too complicated and too scientific. But that's not the case. Safely finding your way in a boat takes nothing more than some common sense and simple tools."
We need more guys like JR. Sailing would be a lot more popular, I think. What do you say?

hellosailor 03-25-2010 09:06 PM

You sure you want sailing to be MORE POPULAR?

You're going to get the same crowd that is driving on the streets. You know, "Gee, a green light. I can go left, I can go right, I can go straight, someone please help me, what do I do? I have to stop here in the intersection ow, I'm so confused!"

Now picture them on a boat, with no brakes, no stripes on the water, and...oh, wait, they're already buying the jetskis!

Be careful what you wish for, I'd rather see those folks take up GOLF and stay ashore. Gee, it's a golf ball, I wonder which side is the top?

marianclaire 03-25-2010 10:18 PM

"Common sense” is the key phrase. Both on the road and on the water some just do not have it. Dan S/V Marian Claire

sailingdog 03-26-2010 02:51 AM

Unfortunately, common sense is sadly lacking among many boaters, especially power boaters, and stupidity is running rampant, and you can't fix stupid.

JomsViking 03-26-2010 03:07 AM

[Philosophical Rant]

But why, oh why are three last posters right?
It seems that Darwinian evolution stopped with modern societies :)
I see a lot of people that have no common sense, but that are not inherently stupid, and can be taught to (re)gain it. I personally believe that it requires exercise and dies when not regularly used - And it it is not when watching American Idol or whatever?

I do agree that navigation is easy, but also something that you get better at when actively using it...

[/Philosophical Rant]

Tempest 03-26-2010 06:26 AM

Most " sailing" requires little or no navigation skill at all. Most recreational boating is piloting. I learned to sail on a reservoir...moved to a bay, then to the ocean.

Access to water, expense are probably more limiting factors to growth.

Basic navigation isn't that hard, and has been made even more accessable with modern electronics. ( though one should know the underlying principles) Besides some common sense, and basic math skills, it requires a level of curiosity and a willingness to learn

I take people sailing all the time..including trips up the coast..who claim that they want to learn how to sail. Very few, though, seem to express a desire to know/learn the navigational aspect. Rather, they are content to fish, take photos and drink my beer and rum!! After we dock, of course!

marianclaire 03-26-2010 07:09 AM

Considering some of the things I have seen on the water. I wonder if it is lack of common sense, lack of training or do they just not give a s***. I have had my share of “learning experiences” i.e. dumb moves, but never for the last reason.
Tempest: What a polite crew. Mine drink the beer and I am stuck at the tiller with a bottle of water. Dan S/V Marian Claire