Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010

renbluefish is on a distinguished road
Boat rescue today

We received a call this morning at 7am. A friend of ours said our boat had broken loose and had drifted over to Bird Island (a shoal you barely see at high tide) and and was listing on her port side, if we hurried we could get there before high tide and float her off.
Thankfully the night before we were at the pub until some ungodly hour and well prepare for an emergency.
We got coffee and made it to the boat in a hour by driving a little over the speed limit. There she was grounded and listing to port. On our way out I commented on the spotted bottom paint and said to the Captain "you said no one was gonna see the bottom"
When we got on board we noted that the swivel shackle had broken from the mooring chain. We than threw two anchors out over the starboard side. One forward and the other off the stern, The wind was blowing and holding us tight to the rocks.

The anchors bit in and held. We than tied a fender to the ancor lines. We hooked the stern line to the winch and started slowly cranking. We also had a line to the tender that has a 15 horse Honda on it. That took a bit but we were ready and high tide was at 10:30. by 10 the boat was back to even but we were still grounded. I got in the tender got the line taught and gave her a yank and the Captain put her in reverse and gave her some and good scrape we are free. Back to the boat and dropped the lines over (hence the fenders that we went backfor later).

What a morning we picked up a local mooring and fixed ours. Tomorrow we'll be back on our hook. No damage to the hull or rudder. We'll dive to look at the keel later. Not to make this sound easy because its not.there we a couple of scary moments. We pulled this off due to great communication and trust. We probably will never use a swiveled shakle again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
a swivel is the weakest part of the link--i never use them on mine either---i dislike breakaways.....goood luck....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook