Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Little Pudgy? If I were getting a little Pudgy I would diet and exercise.

I think you're getting mine confused with the Parkdale or Paisley Pudgy. No, no, my friend...

The PORTLAND Pudgy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
So many boats, so little time. I often thought about getting a “Fatty Knees” dinghy to play around with when we do our summer Delta cruises. Small enough to carry on the forepeak, but looks like a lot of fun to sail around the anchorage. I’ve also been thinking about a Finn as we have a very active group here at EYC. Then there was the plan for going into a partnership on a Moore or Melges and give Freya a rest from racing. All I have to figure out is how to get my hands on a trust fund. Anybody out there want to adopt me?
Old 04-22-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This thing came up in the liferaft debate (thanks blackjenner) and it's just too damn cool not to talk about.

Portland Pudgy multifunction dinghy -- the fun boat that could save your life!

Look at this thing sail! If that dude ever passes me on the lake I'm throwing an oar at him:

I saw this on another SailNet thread a few months ago when someone else posted the link.

I think they are pretty damn cool, especially how the entire sailing rig stows *in* the hull.

I'm really considering one too.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

Old 05-08-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
They're awesome. Got one in my slip right now. (On loan )

They're expensive if you think of them as plastic tenders only, but they're comparable in costs if you think of them compared to life-raft costs. Another backwards way to think of it is, "why is a life raft $6K, it's just a round inflatable dinghy". Also pudgys are waaay cheaper than most of the RIB tenders with zoom-zoom motors that are on the back of lots of the powerboats and big sailboats.

The way I figure, I had budgeted for a nice sailing dink/tender and for a liferaft. Once I found the pudgy I was able to re-budget with both items in the same column and save money as well.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-12-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
So what will you use as a liferaft Smack??!! Will a 2-man valise fit in that thing?
Old 05-12-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey, if Bligh can sail over 3,000 miles in a pants-powered, leaky launch...I figure I can survive with a raging Pudgy for a few days.

Old 05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey, if Bligh can sail over 3,000 miles in a pants-powered, leaky launch...I figure I can survive with a raging Pudgy for a few days.
Aren't you supposed to call your doctor if you possess a raging Pudgy for more than four hours?

Old 05-12-2010
Last Man Standing

Doctor? I don't think so. More like Tiger Woods' contact list.

Old 05-12-2010

So, on the Pudgy. Many, many, many coastal cruisers don't carry life rafts. I don't think that, necessarily, this is a bad thing. If you are going off shore, yeah, they make sense.

So, given that, and given that I will be mostly coastal cruising for a couple years, I'll likely, if the wallet can afford it, try to get the Pudgy as my tender.

Here are my reasons:

1) It's a solid high capacity tender and, from what I can tell, it's well made.

2) It can also sail and, based on the videos, sail pretty well. The fact that the sail rig fits *inside* the hollow hull is just awesome sauce on top.

3) It motors well with an electric motor, or even a small gas one.

4) If one wants, one can add a life boat option to it.

So I would have a tender, that I can get a sail rig for, that rows and motors well that, if I add the cash, can "life boat" if I so choose.

Does this replace a high quality, well ballasted life raft? Not necessarily.

Were I to go offshore, I could have my multi-function pudgy, which I already own, *and* a containerized life raft.

This gives me options. I like options.

As for the looks, I can live with slightly funky looks (hey I've owned BMW motorcycles) if they function particularly well.

Old 05-12-2010
Last Man Standing

I agree with BJ's logic. Until you're really going to make the decision to buy a serious liferaft - this thing makes a lot more general sense than just having a tender - especially with the LR option.

Is it perfect? Naa. But it's a hell of a lot better than an unprotected, unsailable dinghy.